No, I’m not going on a trip to NYC – I wish! But I noticed the other day that almost every show that was in my weekly lineup (was being the key word, boo on the writers strike still not being
resolved) is set in New York City. In fact, I think that’s why I started watching them in the first place, don’t care what the storyline is, but as soon as I heard “new york”, I was hooked. I don’t even really like some of them – Serena and Dan are nauseatingly cheesy, but I haven’t missed an episode! And the teasers for Lipstick Jungle, (Modern, New York career women support each other through triumphs and tears that are all part of making it in the Big Apple) – sound an awful lot like SATC and Cashmere Mafia. Anyways, now I’m dying to go to NYC! I have no idea why I’m so obsessed, but apparently it’s not just me since every network has several shows set in NYC. I don’t get it why this is the latest craze, I’m part of it, but I don’t get it! And I can’t even begin to list how many movies are set in
NYC, especially where the city gets destroyed - Cloverfield, I am Legend, Independence Day, King Kong, The Day After Tomorrow – why do we care to see it destroyed over and over and over? Here are all the NYC shows I could think of, but I’m sure there are many more. I vote Heroes, Ugly Betty, and Friends as my favorite. What's your fav?Cashmere Mafia
Lipstick Jungle
Ugly Betty
Gossip Girl
Heroes (sorta)
Dirty Sexy Money
I Love New York (I think this one is about a lady named New York, not about the city, all I know is it has something to do with Flavor Flav so I’m staying far far away)
Law and Order (several of them)
Without a Trace
CSI: NY
30 Rock
How I Met Your Mother
FriendsThe Cosby Show
Seinfeld
SATC
Mad About You
The Nanny
NYPD Blue
Caroline in the City
Just Shoot Me
Felicity
Will and Grace

Even though I heart New York, I'm ready for some shows and movies to be set elsewhere. People do live in other areas of the US and have jobs and fall in love and lead fabulous lives - what else do you need for a good romantic comedy (27 Dresses could have been set anywhere - but it was in NYC)...
10 comments:
Reading your post made me reminisce about our little jaunt to the Big Apple one year ago - too fun! If you ever decide to go again, let me know and maybe I can arrange to meet you there - we only live two hours drive (or train ride) away. Heck, you could come visit us here, and we could go into the city for the day (we haven't done that yet, but we have talked about it). Anyway, I don't know why so many shows are set in NYC, I guess it is just the cool place to be. My fave NYC show would have to be Seinfield - Natch!
I do love NY!!! I am game to go again. And I like Kim's idea. Let's all go see her and then go for the day. And I have to admit. I love Gossip Girl. But Friends will always stay close to my heart! :)
Okay, you totally had to have googled tv shows set in NY, because I just don't think you came up with all of those on your own- Mad about you? Come on, you were still in elemenary school when that was on.
Back in my film making days, I dreamed about graduating from BYU and then moving to NYC to be a cinematographer. NYC is just a filma and tv hub- I think thats why so many tv shows are set there- plus it is such a large city, that when you are making a movie about a city being destroyed, NYC has the most visual imparct.
That was probably a rhetorical question, but I gave my best answer!
You always come up with such creative blogs posts. I too love a good NYC show. Friends being the all time favorite. I totally watched Felicity too! Loved that show. Definitely looking for some new shows too. When is that dumb writers strike going to be over?
We'll go to NYC together. Just as long as you're willing to see Wicked again. I'll have to cast my vote for Friends. It's a classic. I've seen Gossip Girl, but I just don't see it being sold in a 9 season DVD set one day.
Kim - I like your idea, and i'd love to see where you live too! it was exactly a year ago that we all went - I vote for going again when it's WARM!
Ok, Brooke, so you caught me. I actually came up with most of the shows on my own (I used to watch Caroline in the City!) but I cheated on How I Met your Mother, Felicity, and the Cosby Show. Can't sneak one past you!
Melissa - let me know when - of course I would see wicked again, your treat right?
I love Hero's I also give a big boooo to the writers strike all my favs are being postponed like The Office as well as Hero's I like Ugly Betty as well it's a little quirkey. Right now we really don't have any shows we look forward to seeing. Regarding NY I think we like to watch it's destruction because it's like the whole US being destroyed if that makes sense. Washington D.C. may be the capital but some people see NY as the center of everything. On Rhett's mission in Equador everyone thought if you were from the US you were automatically from NY. No matter how many times Rhett tried to explain even with maps they still thought this way. To them NY was the US. So if NY is destroyed so is the US and we are always suckers for that kind of mayhem it makes great entertainment.
That is awesome! I have to say that Seinfeld is my fav. I have not been much of a TV person since Kade was born and I have seriously not heard of half those shows! Sad! I also "heart" NYC!
Melanie, if you get this before Monday night, check your email!!
I like the Law and Orders but I have never been to NYC and know we have to have a girls weekend before the lot of you move away!
Post a Comment