Monday, February 18, 2008

Bathroom Revamp and some randomness



We've lived here for over 2 1/2 years, and our basement bathroom has looked like this the entire time. These pictures do not do justice to the amount of dirt and grime on every surface, floor, shower, sink, walls, baseboard, ceiling, you name it. Zach has used this bathroom as his bike shop - the only thing that has ever showered in here are his bikes. So my project over the past 2 weeks has been to get it to the point where I wouldn't be completely embarrassed to let someone use it. It was harder then I thought to juggle working on it and keeping Aubrey happy, but I'm proud to say I basically did this project on my own from start to finish.


These mirrors were a fun and pretty easy project. Ikea has unfinished wood mirrors for $1.99, so super cheap, and believe me, they appear elsewhere in my house. I'd rate decorating the mirrors a 4 in difficulty. I add a point for everytime I irreversibly messed up or threw something.








Aubrey seems to do something new everyday. Her latest development is army crawling, maybe not quite army crawling yet, but more of a full body wiggly spasm, but it works. I've yet to get her to crawl to one of her many bright toys, but put something dangerous in front of her, a plastic bag, paper, choking hazards, rat poison, toys made in china, and she is motivated. You can't tell here, but she pants like a little puppy the whole time she's moving, so cute!




We went to one of my favorite events this weekend, a soup contest! I've had it on the calendar since last year. I guess the word got out about how great this is, because the lines were way too long. It's just not as fun when you have to wait 10 minutes for each and every spoonful of soup. So the new word is, this event is no fun, please don't come next year, my friends and I will be there, but hopefully you won't. Doesn't Aubrey look enormous here?









17 comments:

Amy said...

You never fail to get me to LOL while reading your posts. Rat poison, toys made in China. Pretty funny. The Bathroom looks amazing. I'll need to take some decorating advice from you. Did you cover the mirrors with paper? I just might have to copy it.

Libby said...

Love, love, love the new bathroom! You did an amazing job. You are a great designer.
Aubrey, once again, adorable! She does look kind big in that picture...that was actually the first thing i thought even before I read what you wrote.

Linda said...

Yeah, I thought I saw Aubrey crawling at church! She's super cute. Soon Natalie and Aubrey will be walking around chasing eachother. And I love your bathroom, I'll have to copy your mirror project for our next place.

libby said...

I love the mirrors! That's such a good idea, for so inexpensive... I'll be the third person to copy. If you don't mind... :)

Michele said...

Aubrey is growing so fast and of course...no soup for me!
Great job on the downstairs bathroom...kudos to you!

tiffany and darren said...

I am impressed with the bathroom!! I couldn't do anything like that to save my life. I am not creative and not at all handy.

Brooklet said...

I absolutely love the bathroom! You did such a great job, chosing colors and decorations!

And that video of aubry crawling is so much fun to watch!

BusyMama said...

Love the before and after picts - you definately have an eye for design (that's a talent few people can claim!). Aubrey's cruisin' - begin project baby-proofing!

Gina said...

Great mirror idea! I love the IKEA mirrors and have a set in my house too! The bathroom looks great! Good job!

Jana said...

You are totally talented! I love everything you did. And I hope no one goes to that soup thing next year because it is my last chance to do it and I don't want people messing it up! If you planned it a year in advance, I am betting you know the new date for next year. Can I please get that from you? That way I can actually plan on Jason staying home.

Rachel said...

she is such a cutie. I am sorry she is moving out of the stuck in one spot age. Even though it is exciting now you will soon long for those days when she sat like a little blob and couldn't get around. (Im a rotten mom if you didnt know already =) Also, I am so jealous I LOVE getting stuff on the calender early. I want to BE you. a whole year in advance that is inspirational. You make me LOL every post keep 'em coming. (ahhh what happened to the good ole days when I could blog without my kid begging to look at "thomas train" on youtube?)

audrey said...

mel. you are hiLARious. some people's blogs are funny, and some people's are just ... annoyingly bland (I'm awful, I know). but YOU, my dear, are ALWAYS a good read : )

and ps. i'm in super admiration of all proactive, revamping-the-bathroom-type of people these days, for i am feeling absolutely immovable and useless. due within the next wk and a half ish... ahhh.

xo.

Kimo said...

I must concur with Audrey. Your blog is always a good read and makes me lol! Unfortunately, mine is usually one of those 'annoyingly bland' ones, but I wish I could be funny like you! I will occasionally have a burst of funitude, but it is rare;).

Aubrey is darling! I miss Pittsburgh!

Kimberly said...

Very cute bathroom I admire those who go at remodeling or revamping their own stuff. Creative people are just more interesting to hang out with.

Michele said...

Girlfriend it's time to update the old blog!

Heather B said...

I desperately need some decorating ideas, LOVE the ikea mirror thing! And that clip of Aubrey is soooo cute. Why is it that choking hazards are so motivating? I don't know.

Michele said...

OK girl enough of the traveling and update your blog for crying out loud! JK