Sunday, May 10, 2009

the persistence of yellow

Lately I've been in love with this little book of eccentric passages by Monique Duval. Her words are so magical and innocent and hopeful, I had to share some favorites.


You ask me how things work. I think of endless cycles, the hum and spin of everything. So I tell you this: hold the pale green stalk up high. And then run hard so the wind will catch the wings of the dandelion seeds. Let them fall like sparks, like stars, back to the earth. I can tell you are not satisfied. but really. That's all there is to it: the persistence of yellow.



She had a conference with her angels before breakfast. Decided how to spend her day: Climb trees. Run fast. Pick flowers. Sing at the top of her lungs. Laugh. Do dishes tomorrow.



Don't you love my little niece? We alternatively bribed her with cupcakes and threatened with taking away the future cupcakes to get these pictures. But her mom needed pictures to frame for her new room, so it had to be done :)

7 comments:

lindsey gruwell said...

I love that second quote about having fun and leaving the dishes till tomorrow. Sounds like a good book. And, cute pictures of shannon. As always, you did a great job taking the pictures. They will look cute in her room!

Kimberly said...

Happy mothers day and do leave the dishes for tommorrow:)!! What fun pic's, a little bribery goes a long way:)

BusyMama said...

TALENT! Please don't leave.

noelle said...

perfect, perfect, perfect pics.

libby said...

mel, these are amazing! you're getting so, so good!

audrey said...

loooove these : ) why are you MOVING?!! we haven't even visited each other yet?!!! when do you actually take off?? email me. xoxo.

Candace said...

I love the pictures and the quotes. The one's with the flower pedals falling with your niece are my favorites! Again wow, you have such an eye for photography and are so talented.