Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rocking Chair Days

rocking chair day - have you had a day or a moment that you know will still stand out in you memory even when you're old and gray and just sitting in a rocking chair all day? If so, congrats! You've just had a rocking chair day!

I have dreamed of going to the Canadian Rockies for years and specifically, of backpacking a trail called the Rockwall trail in Kootenay National Park. Two weeks ago, Zach and I were able to do just that!! We met a man on the trail who was as enamored with the trail as I was, and he promised the boy scouts he was leading that their days on the trail would be "rocking chair days". I loved his little theory and yes, these were rocking chair days for me! It was such a dream trip and was even more majestic then I could have imagined and something I will always remember doing!
The first night of the backpacking trip almost ruined everything. After a long day of hiking and gaining a LOT of elevation, we were cooking dinner by Floe Lake when it started pouring rain. No big deal, it's part of backpacking, you just cozy up in your tent. EXCEPT, my expensive, fairly new, MSR (a good brand) tent failed, as in rain POURED through the tent and made a little indoor swimming pool. I was devestated. I had planned and planned, but this was not something I could have anticipated. Tents as they get older will start leaking more and more on the seams, but leaking is livable, pouring rain all night long (we might as well have been outside) in 40 degree weather is not good or healthy.

But we had some of the best luck ever! There was a closed up ranger cabin nearby, and we planned to spend the night on the tiny porch to stay semi dry, and just hope no ranger showed up to kick us off. But then a ranger did show up, who was planning on spending the night in his cabin with his daughter. It took us hours to finally ask if we could sleep on the porch, but the ranger said no, but we could sleep in the cabin, on regular beds with mattresses, pillows, and a wood burning stove! It poured and poured most of the night, all the while we drank hot chocolate, warm and dry, and chatted with these nice people and then had a great night's sleep.

The next day we decided to chance camping another night and hope for good weather, and except for one short rainstorm and a stinging hail storm, we got it!

The trail is set up to climb up and down one pass each day and camp before attempting the next. The ranger we met told us he though we could handle more then that so we decided to attempt Numa Pass and Tumbling Pass both the next day. That way if the weather did get bad and we had to bail, we were covering as much ground as possible each day.

Topping out on Numa Pass

We took a long break at the campground where we had initially planned on spending the night and then started off up Tumbling pass. It was a butt kicker to say the least!
Only halfway up Tumbling pass, and then we needed to go down the other side too!
But it was SO SO worth it! Look at this view, I mean honestly! I couldn't think of a better way to spend a day.
Just some random pics. My bear whistle to scare them off if we came across one. Zach carried pepper spray. The only time I wasn't in complete nirvana on this trip was when we came across bear poop on the trail. Oh and when a bear wandered into our campsite. The Floe Lake Patrol cabin was where we got to spend that cozy first night. And our piece of crap tent and just some scenic pics. Look at that blue river! The color was amazing.

The campsites were really fun. We hiked each day without seeing anyone which was nice to enjoy the views in solitude. But then at night everyone camps in the same designated camp ground, so it was fun to meet people from all over and chat with them. After hiking together all day, Zach and I had usually covered any and all possible topics, so some diversity in conversation was nice! Everyone we met was lovely, and we ran into the nice ranger and his daughter here and there, so I think they are officially added to my handful of Canadian friends!

We had planned to do all of the trail but one 8 mile section. We had a limited number of days in Canada, so we wanted to leave ourselves a couple of days to see all the other sights also in Kootenay national park, as well as Banff, Jasper, and Yoho National parks, which are all in the same vicinity. But when it came time to turn one way to begin the hike out or turn the other way to do that last section, I was so bummed we weren't doing the complete trail! I really wanted to do another night, but....Zach hates backpacking and was being a trooper coming on the trip at all, so I didn't push it but promised myself that I would be back to do the whole thing! Zach has since sworn off backpacking ever again, so luckily I have Zach's sisters who want to do the trail one day (when that one day might be, who knows, but we'll do it!) So if you're interested, come join us, we'll have a fun all girls backpacking trip!

22 comments:

Melissa Hodgen said...

The true sign of a good photographer...I want to hike the trail with you! Tell me what I need to do to get in shape and I'll do it. That water, those mountains, green and white. I love it. Although, you did look in need of a hot shower, but that's to be expected.

Glad you had a great time and now I'm thristy for some mountain spring water. Gotta go open a bottle of aquafina.

Alys said...

Those pictures are beautiful. I would love to wake up to that on a camping trip, but I don't think I am quite as adventurous as you two.

libby said...

That looks amazing! I'm so glad you were able to do your trip!

Brooklet said...

It is beautiful there! I think it would be fun, but I have never gone on a hiking trip that long before, I wonder if I have it in me. But I would really like to go there and soak in the scenery.

kajohnson said...

You know who to call next time right? I'm always up for anything....just give me a little notice! Nice to visit with you and Zach!

kajohnson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Ok I guess you have a great excuse for being MIA! I'm so glad you got to do this! It looks amazing. You both are troopers. I love the thought of "rocking chair days". I hope mine are filled with half of the things you and Zach do.

Christi said...

I am so jealous!!!! I want to go to Banff soooo bad. Nick and I have tried to plan some trips there, but they always get changed! Love the pictures!

NJ said...

Wow Melanie, that all looks so beautiful! I'm so impressed with your serious hiking skills. That's so great!

Amy said...

what an awesome experience. jealous. great pics btw.

Libby said...

awesome. that almost makes me want to join you next time- almost. glad you survived and the pictures are beautiful. what an amazing experience!

Linda said...

Wow! You guys did some serious hiking! And from the beautiful pictures it was well worth it.

Megan and Charlie Miller said...

Wow! What a beautiful place! I am so glad that you were able to go.

Kimo said...

Wow! You guys are hardcore! It looks absolutely beautiful! It has been a long time since we have been backpacking, but my dream is to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro someday, and Tim has promised to take me.

Glad you could realize a dream and have a 'Rocking Chair Day'

La Familia Young said...

You guys were always on the adventurous side! What great views! Who knows, maybe someday Hunter and I can do something like that... or maybe send Hunter alone? :) Great pictures!

lindsey gruwell said...

The pictures are beautiful!! I bet someday I see them hanging on your walls. I didn't realize the hike was to that extent, but should've guessed it from your past adventures. I wish I had it in me to hike all the way up, maybe in years to come.

Elise said...

Okay you've convinced me. I'd totally go hiking and camping to see those gorgeous sights. Plus a little adventure is always fun! What an amazing trip, I'm glad it all worked out for you guys. Great pictures!

Michele said...

It has been ages since I was in the Canadian Rockies...your pictures make me miss hiking...but not enough to go on your crazy survival hike!!! You are amazing doing this and preggo to boot!

Jeannette said...

wow those are some beautiful pictures! Glad you had such a great trip I am jealous, it has been a while since I have been anywhere pretty like that!

Jana said...

You are my hero!!! I backpacked once in my life, in the Uintahs, (so nothing like what you did) and I thought I might die. You are a trooper with that rain. That alone would have sealed the deal for me. I remember being in Banff and having those rocking chair feelings. You are amazing.

MaRea Hess said...

Looks like the trip was a success!! I think I would hike several hours to see the beautiful water. Kyle and I need to do a trip like that soon. It was great hanging out with out guys while you were up, I know kyle always loves to get together with Zach.

MaRea Hess

Candace said...

I was so excited to hear you are expecting also, congratulations!! Yes, you will have to let me know what you are having, and how everything is going with the pregnancy. To bad we don't live closer, so they can all play. Well congrats again!