Wednesday, April 28, 2010

the epic saga continues....


I know, I know, FOUR vacation posts in a row? But like I said, this is one of my favorite places so there's so much I want to record and remember and share. I love this beach town. Everything is built to reflect a West Indies/French Corridor type of architecture. What that actually means I'm not sure, to me it means all the houses looked fancy and snobby and classy and I LOVED it! I don't mind imagining that I'm a classy high society type for a week who is accustomed to frequenting homes with carriage houses and fountain filled courtyards.

Don't you want to be on this porch RIGHT NOW!?

This grassy area? Don't call it a field, it's the "Eastern Green", again, a bit pretentious, and I like it.

Some pictures from the neighboring town of Seaside. There's a cupcake stand, you know I love that! I had an amazing Salted Caramel cupcake. I should have taken a picture, but I ate it way to fast. Also, I had the best shrimp taco in this town too at The Taco Bar.

We walked to the shops a lot. I love being able to walk everywhere. Some of our favorites? the Sugar Shak, for obvious reasons and Gigis Boutique, which had the CUTEST children's clothes. That little red dress in front? It cost $88. So maybe I don't love ALL things snobby because charging that much for kids clothes is just sick.
My niece. Out of all the yummy rich candies she could pick from in the Sugar Shak, she chose a 4 foot long gummy snake. That's a lot of gummy-ness. And I couldn't help but think as she attacked that gummy snake, that the texture couldn't be that different from a REAL snake....makes my stomach turn a little. Look at her go after it!
The town is designed to be super pedestrian and bike friendly and not super car friendly. As in you can't park really anywhere (my dad got 2 parking tickets!). But you can ride your bike anywhere almost as quick or stroll on one of the boardwalks that connect the whole town.
Lindsey and my Mom
One of the many boardwalks to travel on. Or twirl and dance on if you please!
And the beaches are fantastic too.
I think Miss A approves!
Or does she? You never know with this girl. I dread seeing these mood swings in teenage form from her!
Miss A and her Grandma "GiGi" as she calls her.

Cute cousins!! It's fun to see them interact and enjoy each other's company more as they get older. Although their relationship did go through a rough patch when they realized there was only 1 PURPLE shovel to be had amongst all the apparently inferior YELLOW shovels and that they would have to SHARE! That led to a lot of tears but in the end Shannon invited us to come live with her so I think we ended on a good note!
A big thanks to my mom and dad and my sister Lindsey. They helped so much with the kids since Zach wasn't there and beaches and trips can be a lot of work with little ones. I know they'd get a lot more relaxing in if they went without us! It was really good though to have so much time to spend together as a family. Let's try again for next year :)

13 comments:

Stefanie said...

Gorgeous pics as usual, I did notice you are missing pics of baby pitcher!

Richins Family said...

OH MY HOLY! that place is Soooo beautiful! Your photography is so beautiful! I'm a little obsessed! :)

Amy said...

I love your posts! I love your pictures and your description of things. I can "hear" you as I read them and it makes me laugh but it also makes me miss you! So where are the pics of T in all those. Love all the saturated colors in your pictures. Did you get to go biking? We rented bikes a few weekends ago down in Hilton Head and it was SO much fun. They looked just like the ones your family had (baskets on the front and everything). So fun! Glad you got to go.

noelle said...

love, love the pics. beautimous. the color is contagious. like i really think i feel happier inside having looked at these just now.

Linda said...

Amazing pictures! Rosemary Beach looks like heaven. Loving A's bathing suit, where did you get it?

Tina said...

The department of tourism should pay you for these posts. It looks so lovely! You totally sold me on it. :)

cathy said...

Looks so beautiful and warm! Next time you go I'm coming!

Cherie said...

Oh those pictures are beautiful! I'm so glad you guys had a good time. It makes me want to go to the beach like right now! :) Glad you guys are doing well!

kajohnson said...

JEALOUS!

Heather B said...

Seriously STUNNING photos!

V said...

Melanie, this is one of my top three favorite places on earth!! Gigi's is the best! I once bought a pair of $36 cotton tights there with little pom poms sewn down the side. I love them for Emma of course. Lara Caughman and I hope to open a shop in Rosemary someday and site on the beach everynight and listen to the ocean and shop when we don't have customers in our shop. You can come see us and we will give you a discount. Love, Vanessa

Jana said...

It s seriously so gorgeous there. I want to go. How about we do a girls trip there!!!? And how about you take my new babies pictures!!!!! You are amazing. Seriously, if we are in Utah at the same time, will you? I will pay. :)

Candace said...

SO fun! Next time I am coming with you. Miss A so reminds me of my little Mister C. gotta love those mood swings, or whatever you call them for boys.