Sunday, November 4, 2007

"Step"ing back through time



“Pittsburgh is undoubtedly the cockeyedest city in the United States. Physically, it is absolutely irrational. It must have been laid out by a mountain goat…and then the steps-oh my, the steps!”
Ernie Pyle, 1937


















































As much as we have complained about Pittsburgh from time to time, there really is no place like it. It has a culture of it's own. I love the diverse ethnic neighborhoods, the cobblestone streets, and the steps! They are everywhere and tell so much about the history of Pittsburgh as a steel town. Pittsburgh has the steepest street in the whole world! How did Zach and I get so lucky? From what I found on the internet, officially the steepest street in the world is in New Zealand (35% grade) but Pittsburgh actually has the steepest street with a 37% grade. That's almost as steep as a black diamond ski run! Zach doesn't believe me that Pittsburgh has the steepest street in the world though. He says that he walked up way steeper streets in Brazil, so steep that they were only for pedestrians, cars couldn't use them. Hmmm....a paved walkway only for pedestrians....we call those sidewalks where I'm from!




















Steepest street in the world! I drove up it!










6 comments:

Amy said...

Cool post Mel! I like all of your Pitt pictures. Definitely a unique city! Aren't we blessed. Except that winter is on our heels, YUCK.

Rachel said...

I MISS pitt!! I loved the sidewalk joke. I L'd OL. I was just telling Dan how disapointed I am with fall out here. everything is so new there are just a couple big trees and they are just turning poopy brown and yellow. I need reds and orange. boo hoo

Brooklet said...

Come for a visit, rachel! Though winter is rapidly approaching, when there is not longer reds and oranges, there is just brown and gray.

I feel so honored to have the steepest streets in our neighborhood, especially in the winter, those steep streets are fun.

Brooklet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Libby said...

I love the pictures too. I think I am going to join you one of these days and do some stairs! I need it! I also want to see that street. Scary.

Jana said...

I am still LOL at the sidewalk comment for Zach. You look GREAT. No mare stairs needed. And that really is a crazy street. Too bad they SUCK at cleaning the streets in the winter. Stay away from it! :)