Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bermuda, BAHAMA, come on pretty mamma...

Wouldn't you love to be doing this RIGHT now?

A month ago, my parents took the family (minus Zach, poor kid, he had to stay for school, he is not going to enjoy this post) to San Salvador/Columbus Isle in the Bahamas. Can we say best week ever?! Thank you, thank you, thank you Mom and Dad for a perfect trip!

The second we got to the resort, I panicked, thinking, I only have a week here! I'm not ready to go yet! The place was amazing.

Me and Aubs with my sister Melissa and her daughter Shannon.

The cute little place I stayed at.

The view I woke up to every morning.


I've always been proud of they way Zach and I travel on the cheap. All our stuff in backpacks, camping most nights. All inclusive resorts are for fat pale pansies, right? Well, I have converted, or become a fat pale pansy, or both! There was so much to do and the staff picked up all the seaweed off the beach every morning - seriously! And then there is the FOOD! All you can eat buffets that switched themes every night (French, Bahamian, Gourmet and on and on), snack bars, restaurants. There were maybe 2 hours in the entire day where you couldn't get a smoothie or a full meal somewhere. If you don't know that my family loves to eat, then you don't know us at all. Some serious bonding occurred during meals, well, at least in between frequent trips to the buffet tables.



The resort also had tons of fun things to do. Windsurfing, sailing, snorkeling, archery, tennis, fitness classes (not that I went to any of those). Thanks so much to my family for helping with Aubrey so I could do so much!

I loved sailing - here I am sailing with my brother Daniel.

Safely back on shore with my brother and mom.

Attempting to windsurf. No love to you instructor Julio, shouting at me from the shore "You do wrong. You no good at windsurfing" does not count in my book as a lesson. Thanks to my brother for helping me swim the contraption back to shore.

Snorkeling above a wreck. We saw a shark!


I know I'm biased as Aubrey's mother, but aren't you in love with this girl? Could she be any cuter!


Aubrey went for the straw of this mango daiquiri (virgin of course) on her own. It took her all of 3 seconds to figure out how to suck on a straw and once she did, she went to town on that thing.
The only time we left the resort was for a 3 hour tour of the island.

Ruins of John Watlings house, a pirate who took over the island in the 1600's. Apparently he was a religious pirate who didn't let his crew plunder or play cards on the Sabbath.

Where Columbus first landed in the new world.

Cute cousins! Shannon is a hoot. I don't think you could cram one more ounce of personality into her.

Shannon, Mom, Dad, and Lindsey

Lindsey and I shared a room and she was a lifesaver with all her help with Aubrey. Notice who's holding Aubrey in both of the pictures? Lindsey was my nightly buddy to watch Reba and go to shows.

Such a beautiful place!


The whole family. I love you guys! Thanks for a great week with lots of fun family memories.

Until next time.....

19 comments:

stace said...

what happened to the melanie I once knew??

Libby said...

you are one cruel girl! i was depressed by the end of this post! i need a vacation to the beach...a beach like that one! lucky girl!! oh and aubrey (once again) cutest thing ever...i love love love both swimming suits!

Linda said...

Wow, your trip looked beautiful and fun! I'm so jealous, I seriously need to make a trip to the beach sometime soon. And Aubrey looked so adorable in her beach attire.

Radene said...

OK, when is your next trip, I'm packing my suitcase and hitching a ride!. Nice pictures, and oh so needed on "still" a cold spring day!

Rachel said...

looks like so much fun. Aubrey is the cutest. (or AMONG the cutest I should say, since i know there are other baby's mammas who read these things =) I seriously need a vacation to somewhere with a lot of food and fruity mixed drinks. YUMM.

Michele said...

Nice pedi! Totally jonesin for a trip to the beach! I could live my entire life and never see a shark and it would be OK! YIKES!! Aubrey is by far the cutest! She looks like she loved the sand and sun. True beach baby!

Kimberly said...

Nice! I love tropical trips Rhett and I totally need a vacation we haven't been for so long!

Jana said...

Boo!! I can;t click on any of the pics and make them bigger. And let me be the first to say. You do not need to take that photo class!! You have it nailed. I love your pics!!! Aubrey is DARLING!!! Seeing her in all that summer attire is making me sad. One, I HATE Pittsburgh weather. Two, I miss my little baby. Aubrey looked soooo dang cute in those suits. I never got any good pics of her. Aubrey is yummy.

Jana said...

Also, is that you in the red bathing suit? There isn't a face, but I think it is you. Tell me.

tiffany and darren said...

You didn't even tell me you were going!!! I am so jealous!! It looked like a fun trip with great photography, I am impressed!
When are you going to ceramics? I have two tuesdays to make up. I am probably going tomorrow and maybe the next week.

BusyMama said...

JEALOUS!! That looks incredible. I don't want to hear you talk about how you need to lose weight anymore...you look fantastic. Was Aubrey good on the plane?

Amy said...

You definitely have an eye for photography! The pictures are amazing! What a fun trip. I'm so jealous right now. Let's all paint our toe nails red and go to the beach this year!
PS Aubrey is SO CUTE in her smin suits!

Heather B said...

You are so LUCKY!!! Gorgeous! And no, I don't think Aubrey can get any cuter.

Anonymous said...

Stace, seriously, what happened to me? Zach always says, -you are so not the girl I married- you would think most husbands would be excited if their wife started wearing makeup and stuff, but not him!

Jana, I know why you're asking if that's me in the red swimsuit, b/c I look so amazingly skinny you can't believe it's me. Well, I got news for you hon...it's not me. It's my dang tiny older sister. I WISH those were my legs. Let's hate on her.

Heather, no YOU are so lucky, you got to live in Hawaii! I'm very jealous. Oh and Kaylene, Aubrey was actually pretty good on the plane, but she had nine sets of hands to take care of her. Amy, I'm in for the beach and red toenails!

Melissa Hodgen said...

Even though I was there, I still get jealous looking at the pictures. Speaking of which, I want a copy of them all!
The Aubrey pics were my favorite, of course. And you are right about Shannon, she really is that funny and crazy all rolled into one.
And no hating on the older sister! We both know that we're the same size, you're just more toned and have more muscle. So really, I need to follow your regiment.

lindsey gruwell said...

Melanie-Daniel thinks that you have wicked artistic ability in the pic that you took through the railing. It looks like it is photoshoped, so you have some skills. love daniel

Amy said...

I love the new header! Would it be easier to do something like that for me?

Bigelow Family said...

So much fun! Oh what a great time in the sun where its warm! I'm jealous, but probably not as much as Zach (feel bad for the guy). But what a great va-ca!

Melissa Hodgen said...

Mel, in response to your comment you left on my "tagged" blog about how you didn't want to wear the purple unitard and that's why you didn't preform on the Spanish web...well, if you look at my picture, you are in the background WEARING YOUR PURPLE UNITARD! Nice try to save face, but a picture is worth a thousand words! Caught ya!