Saturday, June 21, 2008

Triathlon



Well, Zach and I completed our triathlon last weekend and are alive to tell about it. Two years ago Zach and I signed up for this same triathlon last minute with some friends. Our goal was just to finish, which we did. It was so fun that we planned to do it the next year, but I was hugely pregnant so that brings us to this year. Since I had months to get ready this time rather then 2 days like last time, I thought I would kill my previous time by just working out at the gym and swimming once a week. I did much better on the swim this year and felt like I really pushed myself hard the whole race, but I only finished 2 minutes better then my previous time. If I do the race again, I’ll put the time in to really train, but I’m completely happy with how I did. When I think that 6 months ago, my workout was walking 3 miles and that exhausted me, I’m proud of how far I’ve come physically. It was a shocker to me post pregnancy to realize how weak I was and to have my body not respond or work like it used too. Although my body is no fine tuned athletic winning machine, finishing the race, I felt so grateful and blessed to be healthy and to have a body that allows me to get out there and MOVE! Really, I think that's why I enjoy doing triathlons, or strenous hikes, climbs, whatever. It's when I'm pushing myself that it dawns on me what a gift our bodies are, which makes me appreciate life, and then I get all sentimental and contemplative, which I will spare you from.


I was talking to some friends about how the triathlon went and someone asked me which section was my weak area (out of swimming, biking, running) and I said that none of the sections were a weak area for me, I was just equally weak at all of them, but I can get through them. And then we started talking about how we were both okay at lots of things in general, but not really excellent at anything in particular. Jack of all trades, master of none type thing. Case in point, the day after this conversation the triathlon results were posted. Out of the 41 women that competed, I placed 21st, meaning I did better then exactly 20 women and I did worse then exactly 20 women. Right down the middle. Could I be any more perfectly AVERAGE! But that is so me, neither good nor bad at most everything, although I could say that I’m excellent at being mediocre! I’ve actually been trying to think of one word that sums me up (b/c I wanted to name my blog something other then its current lame name) and I’m afraid that mediocre just might be the perfect word…..

Since the triathlon was one of my new year’s goals, I revisited all the other goals I made to see how I was progressing.

-Lose weight (of course) – I have finally gotten back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Being that I am a girl and we can never be happy with how we look, I will still find problem areas to complain about (ie my arms) but I do consider this goal accomplished

-Participate in a triathlon and beat my previous time by 10 minutes – In retrospect, maybe 10 minutes was a bit unrealistic…I’m happy with how I did and am checking this resolution off

-Sit up straighter – hmm, still a work in progress, but I am trying

-take a photography class – I’m currently taking a photography class, so good on this goal

-Master photoshop – I don’t know that I’ll ever be able to master it, but I’m learning a lot and I spend time every week on it, so I feel like I’m getting there

-Cook dinner 3 times a week – HA! Why did I even make this goal, seriously…if you change it to cook 3 times a month I would say I’m on track with it. I’m taking this one off because I really don’t even care to accomplish it. This will never make the list again. Noelle, if you read this and are still with your parents, tell your mom she is my role model for cooking - "Go scrounge" is my new mantra!

16 comments:

Libby said...

way to go! okay, so your arms and how awesome they look are one of the features i always notice about you. you look great. you must know deep down that you look awesome- come on!

Libby said...

and i am not just saying this bc i am currently prego and FAT!

Libby said...

why i surround myself with tiny friends i have NO clue. okay i am done :).

lindsey gruwell said...

way to go mel on the triathlon and accomplishing your goals !We'll have to go exercising together back home. You're looking good...nice and skinny!

BusyMama said...

Wow! You look amazing, Mel! And I'm in awe that you can even do a triathalon, let alone avoid finishing dead last. You finished in the middle against only 41 people, if you were competing against 100 people like me, you'd blow us out of the water. So really, you're above average when compared to all the lazy schlubs that never participate. :)

Kimo said...

Congratulations!!! My mom and sister just did a sprint triathalon last month and loved it! They have invited me to join them next year, and I have consented - but I need tips on how to train properly - please help! I finally have been able to drag my lazy self out of the house for an early morning run/walk almost every day, it's the swimming and biking training that have eluded me so far (you know, with a 3 1/2 year old, and all) - but, hopefully with almost a year to train, I can figure something out.

Oh, and I totally hear you about the 'jack of all trades' mediocre thing - that is exactly how I have been feeling lately: i.e. I can knit with basic stitches, but I can't do anything fancy, I can occasionally produce a nice work of art, but I am no artist, oh, and I can run a mile, but I am no athlete - anyhoo, I feel ya sista!

So, do you think this comment could be any longer? Sorry. But I definitely want to hear more about your triathalon, and what you did to train for it! Congrats again (and on meeting so many of your NY's goals)!

Jana said...

Congrats on your tri. You did great. Keep trying with that cooking. You just might find out that you are more than "mediocre" at it. :) I have tasted a few things of yours and they are above average!!! :)

emily and Nate said...

Hi,
I found your blog and have really enjoyed snooping through it! You and your family are so darn cute!
Emily

Melissa Hodgen said...

It's official, you can cancel your plane tickets...you're not allowed to come to TN. Now that's I'm fat and lazy it would be bad for my healthy and psyche to have a toned sister around. Sorry, docs orders. See you in a year...hopefully I'll be skinnier then, but probably not toned. You can come then and be my personal trainer.
I too need to sit up straighter but am lacking motivation since it makes my belly stretch and it's harder to breath. I've gotta ya beat on the cooking dinner still but I'm confident you'll be whipping up master pieces soon.

Amy said...

Good job! You really must be so proud to think of all the work that went into it. Thanks for being my work out buddy (for a little while anyway). Looks like you are well on your way to accomplishing all your goals. You are a good example to me.

tiffany and darren said...

I am so impressed!! You look awesome! I don't know what you are talking about with your arms, they look toned and buff, I am jealous. Are you doing another triathlon next year? If so, I want in.

Christen, Doug and Dillon said...

Oh my gosh, you are SO not average! If you are average then that means I'm below average (because I came in second to last in the tri last year) and I don't care to think that I'm below average even if I am! You look amazing and good job on your time! It's a serious accomplishment to beat your time last year post-baby; good job! I'd say wish I could've done it again with you, but I really don't! That thing kicked my butt!

Christen, Doug and Dillon said...

Oh, and PS...did Zack sign up for the clydesdale division? Where's Doug when he needs him, huh?!

Michele said...

Rock on Melanie! congratulations on the triathlon and achieving so many of your goals...way to go! And warming up a premade dinner is technically "making dinner".

noelle said...

this was an awesome post - mostly 'cause you mentioned my name at the end... boo-yah! j/k

seriously, to even complete a triathlon is so much better than average! you're like cream of the crop average instead of mass population average. that's cool. oh and you know what else i love? i love that you and zach do this together! bruce just embarasses me at the gym. i can't work out with him.

p.s. bryson told his preschool teacher that his favorite thing his mom cooks is spaghettios. cooking schmooking, i say.

JoDell said...

Way to go with your goals! I'm really impressed...again. I'm always impressed with you, actually! I haven't told you that, probably, but I really like that you always try new things and are always working to accomplish something that you want to--be it a triathlon or re-doing your bathroom or taking a photography class. So, congrats on accomplishing your goals! I'm inspired to go pull out my yearly goals and work on some of them!