Sunday, April 19, 2009

happy cute cupcakes


There's something very nostalgic about eating a cheerful little cupcake. There are several places specializing in cupcakes around Pittsburgh that I've been meaning to try out for quite some time. I got a chance to visit two of them with a friend of mine a few weeks ago, although I'm sure I was lame company because I couldn't stop taking pictures, but cupcakes have got to be one of the most photogenic foods around!


They had me hooked just with the name. And then I went there and it was even better then I'd imagined. It is such a whimsical little place, from the delicate china and silverware they serve the cupcakes on to the grandma's cottage-y tea party atmosphere.
I'd love to decorate my little girl's ceiling just like this.


Self-restraint is not my strong point...

Definitely more of a modern, urban, minimalist type of place. I thought the cupcakes were equally delicious, but if you're going for the overall experience and only have time for one place, I'd go to the Vanilla Pastry Studio. Although I do LOVE these signs, I'd like some for my house!
Rows and rows of fluffy frosting goodness...

And finally, here's a link to a blog dedicated solely to creative cupcake recipes. They look so good I'm almost tempted to (gasp) bake!

10 comments:

Alys said...

The top picture is my favorite out of the bunch. It looks delicious!

Tina said...

You are making me so hungry for a cupcake right now. I seriously just googled it to find a good cupcake bakery here. YUM!

Elise said...

Those cupcakes were amazing! I dying to go back! I'm glad your pictures came out super cute, it was worth all the embarrassment:) Just Kidding! Of course I didn't care.

Kimberly said...

We have a place that specializes in cupcakes called Sweet Spot. I am addicted!!! I love cupcakes, Yum! I actually had Sweet Spot make me a birthday cake. Can I say Buttercream frosting is totally delish oh yes and extremly fattening. I'm signing up for a gym class today:)No really I am.

Anyways, I really like this post if you couldn't already tell.

Linda said...

YUM! My mouth was watering just looking at the pictures. I can't wait to move and find cute bakeries in RI.

The Karrens said...

I discovered Vanilla right before leaving Pittsburgh ( I had them at Jana's shower) Thank goodness I was moving or I would be 10 pounds heavier. Unfortunately LA is exploding with cupcake boutiques. Red velvet with cream cheese frosting. You are getting so good with your photography. I want to start getting into it...any suggestions on a "professional" camera that won't break the bank? Let me know if you have any ideas.

noelle said...

oooo... love your pics! and you've gone bigger. nice. i like! cupcake craving officially going strong now.

i also want those signs for my house. will need to investigate that.

Melissa Hodgen said...

No Mel, don't go there. I wouldn't know what to do with you. Can't wait to try one myself (and neither can Shannon)

Heather B said...

You are such a good photographer. I loved the pictures! And my mouth is watering.

Brooklet said...

That top pictures is so cute, with the sprinkles! It looks like it belongs on the companies logo!