Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mom moments

I'm loving that Aubrey is at an age that she can start participating in things and enjoying them. So many things I used to take her to were really for me to socialize with other moms, she was too little to care where she was. But being able to take her to things that she enjoys and can be excited about is a new experience and I love it. It makes me really feel like a mom.

I braved my swine flu fears and took her to a free trial gymnastics lesson at a gym here. It went about like I expected. Aubrey didn't follow along with anything the teachers did, in fact, she threw fits when they tried to help her do somersaults or handstands. But she did have a blast playing on the equipment, especially the balance beam. She actually found a way to climb up on a regular beam (they are about 4 feet high) and started walking on it with no fear! Even though her behavior was a little less cooperative then I wished, I had such a good time watching her explore and laugh and have fun. Then when we left she threw a ginormous ear-splitting, flailing fit complete with her slapping me at least 5 times. It always amazes me that I can go from feeling so warm and fuzzy about Aubrey to wanting to give her a spanking in about 30 seconds flat!

This is just a cute picture from later that night. Aubrey took off running out of the bath before I could wash her hair. I was about to scold her and she knew it, but then I couldn't stop laughing at her bubbly outfit. As soon as I started laughing, Aubrey knew she was off the hook and gave me this cute smile, which is a rarity to capture with a picture.
I love these moments with Aubrey, in fact, I NEED these moments with her, because sometimes she is so so bad! But then she's so so cute sometimes and it makes up for all the hard times. Now I'm having flashbacks of some of the awful tantrum moments we had earlier this week, like seriously ridiculously horrible very public tantrums...she better do something super adorable ASAP!

11 comments:

La Familia Young said...

Oh Mel, I read your post and say to myself, "Yep, I know EXACTLY what you mean." They can be so cute one minute, and little devils the next. But I try to remember the cute and warm and fuzzy times. I'm glad Aubs liked the gym. We joke around here about the fact that we'll have to put Camilla in soccer, or gymnastics, or something.. so she can burn some of her energy! I love those mom moments. Camilla is the busiest kid I have ever seen, but she's also the sweetest, happiest little girl.. so we (I)'ll keep her :)

Brooklet said...

ahhh, so is the age of two. It is actually the stage when I think kids are the cutest and when they are the absolute worst, sometimes at the exact same time. Aubrey and gymnastics seems like a perfect match- look at her hanging on those rings! Fearless.

Jana said...

I love it! I should find something like that for Ellie. It looks so fun. And I love that she was slapping you. Because as much as you want to slap them back, you can't. :) Naughty little things!!! :) She looks like a natural at gymnastics!!!

Libby said...

that class looks like fun. so i went to a trial class for gymboree only to be turned away bc they wanted me (5 mo prego) to put my 15 month old in a handsfree carrier. it was kind of sad bc jack was so excited. he misses all of his playmates!

Gina said...

Oh Aubs. I do miss the occasional public tantrum with her. I can't believe she was hanging almost upside down on those rings...totaly natural gymnist! Thank goodness for mom moments huh? Expecially at the age of 2...and 3 for that matter.

Linda said...

I can totally relate! There are moments where I feel like going back to work is the best thing, because I feel like a horrible-upset mom and just unfit for motherhood. But the next minute Nat's a little angel and I remember why I love being a mom.

Gymnastics looks like fun, and Aubs does look like a natural on the rings. Perhaps a future Olympic gymnast?

Heather B said...

I LOVE that bubble picture! They gymnastics story is funny too.

Kara said...

its just the age! She will grow out of it. She is a doll though and she makes up for those naughty times by being so cute! She really was good at those gymnastics though...lil monkey!

Kimberly said...

I know about those mommy moments on both levels. Sometimes it's tough but those cute moments can really make up for it:) I luv the bubbles shot you got of Aub's so cute. I used to teach gymnastics to little bitty's like Aub's and Maeryn, it was fun but challenging. The best part was watching them enjoying themselves which made all my efforts worthwhile:) Gym was made for Aubrey she has a lot of energy to burn.

lindsey gruwell said...

oh look at that girl go! Gymnastics is perfect b/c aubs is so strong and obviously has no fear. Even babysitting, I would be so frustrated with the kids, but then they did s/t cute and I'm back to loving them. Cute bubble picture!

Melissa Hodgen said...

So much spirit. So much spunk. Hmm, now who does that remind me of?

Proud of you for braving the room full of sweaty, germy kids. The things you do for love. I bet you can't wait for Zach to kill a dear and bring it home!