Sunday, January 3, 2010

Christmas Outings

I've mentioned several times before how Zach and I are pretty lame about celebrating holidays. But since Christmas is a pretty major one, we did a couple things for Aubrey in an attempt to be "fun parents".

First we took her to ride a train that I'd seen an ad about. All I knew was the address and that it was $2 a person, which kind of clued me in that maybe this was no Heber Creeper. It ended up being a tiny kids train that just drove around a mall lot, but it was perfect for a 2 year old. Colorful, safe, and short enough of a ride to match her attention span. She had a great time.

I realized that the picture below of Zach and I and Aubrey is the only one of all 3 of us together from this entire past year! How did we go a year without getting one family picture? Not that the one taken by the skilled hands of Bob the train conductor isn't everything I'd want to frame for my wall and more...but we'll make an effort to get legit pictures in 2010.


We also spent way too long in the car trying to find a big Christmas tree for her to see, since we didn't have one for our house. We took her to a huge 40 footer, to which she said "Oh christmas tree. Brr it's cold. Go home." Oh well, she looked darn cute in her hat.
Christmas was interesting! Even up to the day of Christmas Eve, we intended to go spend Christmas with my family but finally decided not to make the drive. Mostly because of my upcoming due date. So Christmas Eve night we took Aubrey for a drive to show her Christmas trees, which really is kind of sad. "Here sweetie, we'll let you look at other people's trees, but you can't have your own." But then we saw some beautiful live trees on sale for $2! The store had just closed, so we pressured an employee that was leaving into taking our $2. Most likely they pocketed that money, but hey, our conscience is clear! So 8 pm on Christmas Eve, we set up a tree, decorated it with one whole strand of lights and some random ornaments and played Christmas music. It was very festive for us!
The picture on the left is how our present loot looked Christmas morning. All of Aubrey's presents were at my parents house, so Zach wrapped a couple Dollar Store items in tissue paper (and a baby shower gift bag) for Aubrey. The saddest part is that 2 of those presents contained just one balloon each, but they were different colors at least :) A few days later my parents and Lindsey came into town for a doctor's appointment for Lindsey and they brought Christmas, and Aubrey was very spoiled! So don't feel too bad for her! Even though we didn't go anywhere, we had a good Christmas, some good family time, and best of all, lots of relaxing! I hope yours was wonderful too!

12 comments:

cathy said...

I think it looked like a wonderful Christmas-hey I bet just about now your missing this awesome weather here up north-church cancelled due to weather-our temperature here in Erie is in the teens and it's even colder in Pittsburgh! I bet you miss it so much!

Melissa Hodgen said...

Love the green jacket. Shannon's was too small, which killed me to take it back seeing as how it was 15$, but don't feel too sorry for us, we killed it at the New Years sales at Macy's.

a $2 tree, Steve's salivating. The only thing that would have made it more difficult for him would have been if you'd chopped it down yourself while it was snowing.

We missed you but I would have done the same thing.

Jana said...

I think your Christmas sounds pretty great. I love memories like that. Not that I have any too similar, but you will be glad to have a story like that to tell to Aubrey when she is older and complaining of never getting anything. You can point out how good she has it now. :)

Linda said...

I love how you guys spent Christmas. And holy-jackpot! $2 for a live tree, that's a steal! Aubs is getting so big, and looks so much like a little girl now too.

P.S. How do you get your pictures so vibrant and clear? Is it really all camera?

Amy said...

Love those colorful train pictures. Hey, I have a picture of the 3 of you from graduation :) Do you want it!? Yup, last minute Christmas at the Pitchers sounds just about right. Trust me... she won't know the difference. You are right about my due date. It was Jan. 19th. What's yours again? Glad you took it easy... with a baby on the way you need ALL the relaxation you can get.

mamasteph said...

Your pictures are always so amazing! It sounds like you guys had a wonderful Christmas---it's all about the memories, and you guys obviously made some great ones!

Alys said...

Your pictures look great! I love the bright bold colors.

Meredith said...

I love that you guys set up a tree on Christmas Eve! If that doesn't take motivation and a little Christmas spirit, I don't know what does. I am a fan of simple Christmases...there's something to be said for just being happy being together. We miss you guys!

Stefanie said...

The whole two balloons thing is hillarious! I'm sure she was just as excited to open that as she would be anything else.

La Familia Young said...

Love the pictures! And if it makes you feel any better: Camilla's favorite toy from Christmas: A .99 cent special from Target, and a Mr. Potato Head, for which I paid .99 cents after using a great coupon. Nevermind the fact that I had to to go Target TWICE to get her baby doll toy. She likes it too, but the two mentioned before were the hit of the year :)
And may I add... Do I EVER get to watch your pregnany belly in full show?? It would SO make me feel better about how big I'm getting!
Love you guys! Always looking forward to some new post from you! Good luck with the baby!

Brooklet said...

First off, I love the jacket!

Second, your pictures are fabulous- I love the family train picture.

Third, I agree with Jana; this Christmas you will always look back on and remember with nostalgia- hopefully good nostalgia.

Debi said...

WHAT?! No Christmas tree until Christmas Eve.......sigh- well, no lecture- you know me and my "celebrations". I'm glad you got a tree and actually, I think the fact you got one Christmas Eve night makes for a really fun story/adventure! I'm all for an adventure!