Monday, February 8, 2010

One Month Down

Both kids are napping, my house is clean, I've worked out, showered, and gotten dressed, FINALLY, I can do a blog post and not feel guilty that I'm not doing something more productive.


I cannot believe my little itty bitty newborn is almost a month old! I've done little this past month except keep my two kids alive, clean, healthy, and fed, but hey, that's nothing to sneeze at!


The first couple weeks after T was born, I admit, I was feeling pretty proud of myself. My house was fairly clean (due in large part to the in depth cleaning my mom and sister had done before they left), my family had good meals (due in large part again to my mom and to wonderful friends from church), and I was doing "good" mom things, baking cookies with Miss A, doing crafts and puzzles with her, making her fresh pancakes in the morning, so on and so forth. I thought to myself several times, "I'm ROCKIN' this two kids thing" or "I'm a STELLER mom". And then....little baby T woke up! And it all went downhill from there....


On the plus side, we finally get to enjoy her gorgeous little eyes (that are often crossed, hope that wears off soon....). On the downside, my house has been a mess, like an un-live-able mess, I've been less then steller and rockin' to poor A. Poor girl, the other night I heard her dragging a chair all around the kitchen. A few minutes later, she brought a cheese stick, yogurt, granola bar, and bag of chips to me and asked me to open them for her. I hadn't thought to feed her any sort of dinner (and it was pretty late) so she got her own. Baby T is still an amazingly good baby, but she eats constantly and only catnaps and needs to be held all the time. Which I'm trying to remind myself to enjoy. This is what I wanted, a cuddly baby since my first was not so much that way. My mom had a framed needlepoint in our house growing up that said...


Cleaning and scrubbing can wait til tomorrow

For children grow up, we've learned to our sorrow,

so quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep,

I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep!


So I'm trying to keep that in mind and enjoy these moments!


Here are some photos of my little family that I love so much....I was experimenting with more dramatic light. My girls are so beautiful!!!!! I can't be humble when it comes to them!



20 comments:

Richins Family said...

your girls are so beautiful mel! I wish i could see T. ummm you worked out? and your baby is a month old? yeah I was still working on standing for more than 15 min at that point :) super jealous!

Gina said...

Wow! You are totally on top of it! I am impressed! Those girls are adorable. I love all the pics!

libby said...

I love that first photo of Aubrey--so gorgeous! And, I'd say if you've worked out, and the house is clean, AND you got a blog post up, you're rockin' it!

mamasteph said...

Love your photos! Gorgeous, as usual! Kids definitely keep you busy, that's for sure! If you need anything, please let us know! :)

Meredith said...

I think we had that same poem in my house growing up! My mantra is the quote that my grandma used to have hanging in her house: "Children do not interrupt my work, children ARE my work." And you sound like you are being a great mom to both girls...who are definitely beautiful!

NJ said...

Those are beautiful pictures of beautiful girls Melanie! My mom had the same cross-stitched poem up in our house growing up. I loved it even as a little girl - knowing my mom put that up made me feel so special! :)

Alys said...

She is gorgeous! And, she should grow out of the cross eyes.

Paige said...

Holy Hair! She is sooo cute! Aubrey is absolutely beautiful as well. I can't believe all you can do. I'm in the -'lay-in-bed-and-let-everyone-do-everything-for-me' stage.
I'm lovin' it and will keep it up as long as possible, but I know someday I'll have to keep a house and feed my child again - hope I can do half as well as you!

Jana said...

She reminds me so much of little A when she was a new born. And you are a rocking mom. Whether or not you are baking cookies.

The Karrens said...

Your girls are so gorgeous...no need to be humble :) And your photography is really getting amazing :) BTW..the eye thing is really common in babies. It isn't that her eyes are crossed...her nose bridge is still wide which makes it look that way. It goes away as their bridge develops (Allie's was gone in a couple months)

Heather B said...

Yes, no need to be humble about those beauties! I LOVE that first pic of A. I remember going through exactly what you went through. Hang in there. I promise that when you look back you won't even remember which days your house was clean, but you will always remember the sweet moments of just love your girls. And there will be moments when you have to let one cry so that you can help the other. My #2 had to be held all the time too. But she did turn out extra cuddly and I LOVE that about her! During the hard moments, just remind yourself to make it through that hour. And then that day. It's easier when you have short term goals like that.

Amy said...

Working out!!?? You are insane... guess that's why you are skinny and I am not. Love the new pictures as always. You are doing great don't let anyone say differently.

BusyMama said...

No kidding, they are beautiful! Reading your post gives me hope that I can one day be productive again. Maybe?

Brooklet said...

she is sooo beautiful! I love your pictures and the one of T, her eyes are so beautiful. I'd say your doing really good a month out from having a baby. Sometimes I get so caught up in the never ending cycle of housework, that I realize I need to spend some more time just cuddling with baby Luke, because he is growing too fast.

Kimberly said...

I was surprised to hear you working out so early good for you!:) So when are you coming to CA to take pic's of my little chittlins? Your getting so good at it and it's my style of photography. Luv it!!

Rachel said...

don't be too hard on yourself. I remember thinking as Audrey was getting to about 2 months that I had been completely neglecting Luke. All big siblings have a little alone time while the new baby gets all the attention.

emily said...

love your pictures mel.... and no guilt over sitting and holding her... DO IT while you can!

still not fair that you are doing THAT much at just one month! yes, not fair. but you look great.

Melissa Hodgen said...

I think that first pic of Aub is my all time fav pic of her! Taylor is your twin.

Debi said...

Oh your girls are so beautiful!! It's nice to see T with her eyes open. It is KILLING me that you moved away. I think Jana and Brooke are coming in this weekend. Will feel weird not having you here too :( Kiss those babies. PS- Travis was stranded in Memphis a few weeks ago overnight. I was mad that it wasn't me- I would have landed on your doorstep whether I was welcome or not! :)

Aven said...

I will add to the long list of fans, to add that those pictures are awesome, and I can agree, your girls are beautiful for sure!!
Addy