Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The end of an Era

See the sweet puppy? That's Lulu shortly after we adopted her five years ago. And let me tell you we were obsessed with her. I'm pretty sure my first facebook photo album that I created was just pictures of her. We took her everywhere, cuddled her, took her to the park almost everyday, dressed her up to watch steeler's games with us, took her backpacking, and she slept in my bed with her head on my pillow every night.

Can you see the love in our eyes? Even Zach's (who can't stand her now by the way).


So what happened? Kids happened. And just like in Lady and the Tramp, Lulu's luxurious life screeched to a halt. I had to go WAY back in our photo files to even find pics of Lulu. Where as pre children, every folder of pictures on our computer was mostly of her - which was a bit much I admit. (Don't tell but I used to take pictures of her with me when we would go out of town and had to leave her! Sad, right?)
I can't believe Miss A was ever this small! She's probably about they same age here as Baby T
So for a while now, Lulu has been ignored by Zach and I and tortured by Miss A. Miss A likes to poke her eyes, pull her tail, jump on her, kick her, you name it. And the tension has been rising. Lulu is terrified of her and bit her face a month or so ago. We knew it was time to find her a new home, and despite the fact that I haven't paid much attention to Lulu for a long time, I just dreaded giving her away. Well, my amazing parents offered to adopt her (but we're all considering it more of a joint custody arrangement) so last weekend, we met up in Nashville and did the hand off. I hope it's a good thing for all involved. I think Lulu will have a better life away from Miss A and I feel a lot less stressed constantly monitoring them or kenneling Lulu all day to keep further biting from happening. And my mom treats her way better then I do. But it does make me sad looking at these old pictures. Not even so much because I miss Lulu but because I used to really love her and then I became a cold-hearted person or something! Not that I don't care for her, but I have treated her more as an annoyance for a long time. Truth be told, she's one of the best dogs and always has been. So we have become yet another family who ditches their dog after having kids. But we made it 3 years at least with both and we'll be seeing Lulu when we visit my family, which is often!
********
The good old days, when I had a heart :)

10 comments:

BusyMama said...

It sounds like the new arrangement will be better for everyone, no need to feel bad! Lulu is a sweetie. And you're not the only one that suddenly finds themselves neglecting a beloved pet when kids take over. At this point Nika thinks her name is "stupid cat". I'm going to be nicer.

The Bailey's said...

*tear** oh mel that made me sad...you and zach are so cute...you write so well.. .I think you should write a book..you are always interesting to read when you write a blog!

La Familia Young said...

You portray yourself as as a mean ol' witch... which, let me tell you, you are NOT. Kids happen, that just sums it up. And I am glad you'll still be able to see your puppy. Once again, Miss A and Camilla are very similar... one more reason why I want to wait till my little munchkin is older to have a doggie :)

Linda said...

Funny, I was just wondering the other day if you guys still had her. Sorry you had to give Lulu away, but at least you know she's with a good family:) Our dog Macy loves being with my parents, and I'm sure Lulu will feel the same way with yours. What dog doesn't enjoy being spoiled?

lindsey gruwell said...

I'm even more in love with her after seeing her puppy pictures! It's funny, I liked her before, but now that she's here all the time, I love her! Don't worry, she's is good hands although she may think we're torturing her with our daily walks-she pants like crazy! She'll make a great companion for mom when dad is at work. I think we got a good deal-a dog that is potty trained, doesn't chew things, & wants to stick around the house/not wander the streets so thanx for doing the hard job. She's sleeping right by my feet as I type this. And, yes you can come anytime and visit your 1st baby. By the way- mom wants a copy of the first picture posted of her!

Amy said...

To be honest, I'm surprised you made it this long. We lasted all of 6 months! Of course our dog was crazy and not nearly as awesome as Lulu. So sad! At least you'll get to see her :)

Alys said...

So sad!!! We are still going strong. Harrison loves our dogs. And, other than my long recovery, I have been able to give them plenty of attention. I am hoping for a "Marly and Me" for us.

Michele said...

I know it was a sad post but I totally laughed...you cold hearted? not possible! It is just about priorities...kids come first...as it should be. At least you never kenneled Aubs to protect lulu...now that would have been wrong.

Brooklet said...

Oh, Lulu! This is a bit sad for me to hear, but it's great that she is going to a good home- and from the sounds of Lindsey, she has lots of people there to love her (and not poke her eyes).

Sketchy said...

Just remember for everything there's a time and a season. Eventually your kids will be off doing more their own things and you will have this extra Mommy-need that you'll need a little something to fill and then you'll be a pet person again. Right now is just your time to devote yourself to your actual children. You'd be a cold-hearted person if you didn't put their needs and their joys ahead of your dog...just say'in!

And HI! I haven't checked your blog in a while so it's nice to see you're cute kids.

Oh and "man arms" puh-lease. You couldn't be lovlier. Although I have to admit it makes me feel a bit better about myself to see that even someone like you has their insecurities! lol

~Shelly