Monday, August 2, 2010

Not for the faint of heart :)

My goal for the last couple weeks has been to have pictures taken that I am actually in. It's just I hate seeing pictures of myself. They rarely make it off the camera on to my computer. But I know I will regret not having pictures of me with my children especially. I have none from the last 6 months. Soo....drum roll...I'm apprehensively posting some me pictures. The last time I appeared on my blog was when Baby T was born - and those were NOT pictures I want anyone to remember me by!

So first things first, it would be nice to have a facebook profile picture on my account that I'm actually in. So I started there.......and we did not get off to a good start. And I quickly was reminded why I never have my picture taken.
Seriously, this was the first picture. I have a major chronic issue where I blink when the flash goes off, but somehow the picture always catches me with my eyes half closed like above, so I don't just look goofy, I look hammered. This really is my signature look. Before digital, when I couldn't delete all the blinking pictures, I have dozens of printed snapshots with this exact face going on. Gross. For any of you BYU - ers, do you remember how each apartment complex/ward would have a directory with your picture, email, phone number, etc....The first two directories that I was forced to be in, my pictures were taken with film cameras, so the guy did one shot and moved on and I just had to cross my fingers that I looked ok. And when those directories were handed out, what do you think I looked like? Yup, just like above....hammered and heinous....and even more unfortunately, do you remember how people used to refer to those directories as like dating directories or something? So you could flip through and pick out the cuties you wanted to go on a date with. How many dates do you think I got based off of my picture? Let's just say most Friday nights I was taking public transportation to the climbing gym. Alone. Moving on :)
A little bit of an improvement. But if you think it's just the camera flash that gives me problems, my signature look number TWO is below.....
The Un-intentional Sassy Wink. For some reason, when I smile one eye gets REAL squinty and I honestly can't tell it's doing that. So I know lots of my friends have pictures of me doing the Wink and if you do, be a good friend and delete ASAP. Of course, if you were a REALLY good friend, you would have deleted them already and not had one say from a girls trip to NYC on your facebook account (Ahem brooke nelson :) )

Some of me and Miss A. She is also working on her own unflattering signature looks as you can see.

So I will continue to allow some pictures taken of me for memory sake. As long as they are only taken on a crappy point and shoot. I love the quality of pictures from a nice DSLR - unless that high resolution detailed sharpness is capturing every wrinkle, freckle and oversized pore on my face!

14 comments:

Amy said...

You are gorgeous. Mean it.

Stefanie said...

Even the hammered you is gorgeous.

Heather said...

You are hilarious Melanie! I laugh and laugh when I read your posts because you are sooo funny. And you always look so good. And I get jealous! Anyways, it was so fun to see you, I still feel extra special that you called while you were here! It was so fun.
THANKS!!! :)
Heather

Meredith said...

Very funny post. Not everyone can look as good as you with their eyes half closed :) I always avoid being in pictures too, but Tom always points out that I never look at pictures of me with my mom from when I was a kid and criticize her 80's perm or how skinny or fat she was...so my kids probably won't care about that sort of thing either.

Kara said...

hah, so funny! You are beautiful so I wouldnt worry about your blinking pics! The winking pics are kind of cute, thats funny that that happens:)

Linda said...

You do look gorgeous, but I totally understand with the whole eyes half closed and winking thing. It happens to me all the time too, good thing we have digital cameras!

Richins Family said...

I love it~ you could never be ugly

lindsey gruwell said...

ya, unfortunatly you and I are cursed with the blinking thing. But, atleast you have a cute smile to make up for it. You look great great in all of them, but especially in the last 2 pictures. And A-haa she's a funny girl! Love her smile!

Amy said...

Oh man you make me laugh! You are a brave woman to put those non-perfect pictures of yourself up. I am not that brave, hence the reason why you will NEVER see pictures of myself on my blog. You have to know though how gorgeous you are, I mean REALLY! You are SO skinny too! I'm super jealous that you got to see all those girls in UT. I bet that was so fun. Keep the pictures coming!

Michele said...

I get it...there are not many women that like looking at pictures of themselves. but seriously you are super cute hammered or winking so embrace your drunk sexy self!

BusyMama said...

You make me laugh out loud! That brought back some fond memories of roommate pictures back in the day. None of mine are digital so they can never haunt you. And you look amazing...you're such a liar that you still have weight to loose! And let's switch hair, k? :)

BusyMama said...

You make me laugh out loud! That brought back some fond memories of roommate pictures back in the day. None of mine are digital so they can never haunt you. And you look amazing...you're such a liar that you still have weight to loose! And let's switch hair, k? :)

Rachel said...

Dan and I are cracking up :) well written & catalogued. great pics. :)

Brooklet said...

I cannot be held responsible for winking pictures on my facebook (and blog, I am pretty sure there are a couple of those of you on my blog too.) You are so photogenic, that in order to make it fair for everyone else, I have to keep the winking ones up there. Hows that logic for ya?

And I am a little bit mad at you that have already lost the baby weight and look so pretty. (as well as those skinny girls in the Utah picture- jerks). If you notice, I haven't posted pictures of me up on my blog, because even with both my eyes open, I look like a schlump.