Saturday, July 5, 2008

what we've been up to....

With some of our friends finishing up school and moving, it's hit me that our time here is going to be over soon! So I have been packing in as much as I can each weekend. Here's some of the family fun.

4 weeks ago - touring some renovated homes in a hip and trendy area of the city. We tried to fit in, but I think our pantless baby gave us away.


3 weeks ago - triathlon and sick with the barf bug


2 weeks ago - day trip to Ohiopyle. Aubrey's first trip in the backpack and she loved it!


Just waking up from a nap...

Cucumber Falls
1 week ago - camping in West Virginia

Coopers Rock State Park


a ridiculous amount of gear for a less then 24 hour trip - we were determined to make the night as comfortable as possible with an 8 man tent, Aubrey's pack and play, a queen size blow up mattress, etc etc. I'm not sure why it's considered fun to spend so much time and effort trying to recreate the luxuries you already have set up at home....
The campground we stayed at was pretty funny. People stay there all summer and decked their places out - see the example below. And they drive around on pimp out golf carts, complete with lifts, neon underbody lights, decals, and American flags. Had this been a Tennessee campsite, I'm sure they would have been confederate flags, seriously....

This past weekend - my brother came to visit, so I had a buddy to explore the city with (Zach does not enjoy doing this with me).


Aubrey is in this backpack every weekend - good thing she loves it!

This is an awesome workout!

At around 8 am on July 4th, Zach found a 5k to do that started at 9. I had just gotten back in bed after an early morning with Aubrey and was NOT excited about scrambling to get there, but we did and it was a really fun time. I did hit one guy with the jogging stoller and he was ticked - but who can blame him, it would be pretty embarrassing to get passed by a girl pushing a wagon like this.



Had to put this one in to show off Aubrey's patriotic dress. I'm pretty sure it came from Zach's sister, Fran - thanks!
PURE BLISS


Me and my brother - doing the tourist thing


We took Daniel to the strip district - such a colorful place full of characters. We saw this awesome dog, this picture does not do its size justice. It's head was as big as a horse!
Aww....somehow we always (not on purpose!) wear similar outfits. How could I have guessed Zach would also decide to wear a pink striped polo shirt!
Fiddle player - gotta love the Strip!

12 comments:

Brooklet said...

Aubrey looks adorable in every picture- she is starting to move out of baby look into toddler look- she must know she is soon to be one.

And awesome that you ran a 5k just on a whim- I have to hear the whole story of the guy you hit!

And is it bad that I haven't ever been to the strip distric- I better do it soon before our time runs out here!

Michele said...

Wow I thought I had been busy...you go girl! Aubrey is positively yummy.

Candace said...

I have to tell you, you are completely my hero for doing all the adventures you do with Aubrey. That backpack is such a good idea, I'm sure Chase wold love that. And you are looking super fit, another reason I'm so jealous.

Christen, Doug and Dillon said...

So how did camping go? Did slobs sleep through the night? I miss having you around to inspire me to get out and explore!

Melissa Hodgen said...

Definately...the pantless baby gave you away.

Someday you need to take us camping...show us why you think it's so fun. Sounds like you are drifting from your Club Med days. I guess we need to go to the Ritz, order room service, and go to an art museum. That'll put you back on track.

When Steve took Shannon "camping" in the front yard, they roasted marshmellows on the screened in porch, slept on an air mattress, and ran an extention cord to the tent to power their fan and DVD player. Shannon's idea of camping is a little distorted.

Is Slobbers a blonde?

I've tried to get Steve to wear pink...hasn't happend yet.

Can't wait to see you. Shannon's dying to make a cake.

Radene said...

yikes Melanie, you guys are really packing things in. I'm amazed at how much you guys are able to do! Good for you. I'm afraid that we'll be here a while, the time will pass and before we know it, we're scrambling to tour a city we've lived in for 7 years plus. Your energy is inspiring.

Amy said...

Who knew there were so many fun things to do here in Pitt! I still really want to go camping while we're still here. PS Happy Birthday Aubrey!!! Sorry we missed the party.

Kimberly said...

Hey looks like you guys know how to have a good time. I read all of your most recent bloggs to catch up on your doings around Pittsburgh and beyond. So I have to say that I am jealous that you and Zack did the Triatholon together how cool. I wish you were here in Redding I could have a running buddy. Where are you guys heading anyways after school?

Hannah Ashmore said...

I love that you take Aubrey everywhere with you. It looks like she is having a blast with her adventerous parents.

Elise said...

Busy, busy, busy!! It looks like you guys are making the best out of your summer here in the Burgh. And way to go with the 5k. I'm impressed!

Jana said...

You have been one busy woman! That is a good idea to start packing a little each week. I should just start THROWING things out each week. The yard sale is coming up!!! I have details! :)

Kimo said...

Good times!! I really miss Pittsburgh, especially weekends at the Strip! (No, really, I DO!!!!)