Wednesday, September 16, 2009

How the sewing blog came to be....

I've never had much intention of trying to sell home made things, especially sewing related ones, because it just doesn't seem to be a very profitable use of time. You can only charge so much for items, and when I've really added up the nickels and dimes I've spent divided by the time I've put in, I'd say I'm looking at making $5 an hour. Crafts are not my ticket out of the poorhouse to say the least. BUT....people at the hospital have been saying to Lindsey for a long time that they want to buy a bag like hers (she has 2 of the infamous birdie slings) so I made 6 of them to see if I could make a little money since people were asking (and mostly because I'm desperate to buy a new camera lens and would do almost anything to earn the money!). Since a website is the easiest way to display items, I stuck the bags on a little blog, which I couldn't bear to just leave in the Minima White template, so then I made a blog header, which required a name, and and for me to make a matching background. So here you have it....

We'll see if this new blog has any longevity. I might add some wipes cases, burp clothes, etc if I'm feeling ambitious. We'll have to see! But the best part about this is that my mom and Lindsey have been coming up when I make the bags to help with Aubrey and with making the bags. It's been a fun thing to do together! Lindsey makes a good bag model too!
In other sewing news, here's another little set of creations (matching nursing cover and wipes case) that I made for a recent baby shower here. I love how sweet and soft and girly they look!

And finally, a little something something for myself. I made myself another purse a while back, and then a diaper and wipes bag, and finally finished the matching wipes case. I love how the little scrap flower turned out. Such a cute case to house things that I wipe poop with, doesn't make much sense!I also made Aubs a little dress that I'll be posting pics of soon and more flannel blankets then I care to count! But for a good cause, some baby showers and even better, a church service project to donate blankets to a local NICU.

Well, now that I have a family blog, and a photo blog, and a craft/sewing/selling whatever you want to call it blog, I guess all I need now is to make a recipe blog ;) Haha...I'll start it off with my recipe for Easy Mac.


10 comments:

Alys said...

I think it is fun that you are starting a sewing/craft blog. I have not found the time to improve my sewing skills. I have hopes that someday I will. I wanted to make a diaper bag, but then my sister-in-law had one made for me, and it is way better than anything I could have done. Someday...someday.
Alys

Brooklet said...

I love it! So creative and ambitious. And a great way to develop your talents. I think I love most is that it has been a family thing, something you do with your mom and sister.

I am taking baby steps to opening my own etsy shop. You know, nine months ago I reserved the shop name. One month ago I made a shop header. Now I just need to make things to actually sell in the shop- maybe sometime in the next year!

JoDell said...

Seriously, can you get any more talented? That wipes case is really cute. Having cute diaper supplies might make it more enjoyable to change diapers (if that is possible :). I would love it if I had that talent! I love that your sister and Mom come to help you. That's the best part, I think.

BusyMama said...

Your talent makes my mouth water. Wanna share some? I may seriously have you pick out fabric for me from now on.

tiffany and darren said...

good luck!
people in pittsburgh (outside of the ones we know) don't appreciate these bags like we do!
i hope you do well with your site and make lots of $$$

Atherly Family said...

I like the way this whole thing came to be and that Lindsay and your mom are so involved. I bet I don't have to tell you how stinking lucky you are to have family near by!! Jealous of that and your skills. Way to go taking the bull by the horns and bringing home some bacon to get that camera lens. Good job and good luck! I don't think you'll have any trouble selling the bags or the wipes containers, and blankets, and nursing covers, all of it!!

Tina said...

That is so awesome! You seriously make the most beautiful stuff. I wish I had your talent. Right now I am taking a Wilton cake decorating class, and after that I want to start learning how to sew. Have you ever thought of making quiet books? I want to get into that too. :)

MaRea Hess said...

Anything for that new lens!!!! I am thinking of all my old stuff I can sell to pay for the lens I bought. Sell your heart out and buy that lens! I think you should add baby legs to you selling items. They are so easy to make and everyone needs several pair. I buy the socks at dollar stores. You can sell the baby legs for $6 bucks. They only take about 5 minutes to make. Let me know if you want to know how to make them.

MaRea

Jenn said...

horray for lots of blogs! I fall into that catagory too. Erick teases me that I have so many blogs. AND, I love your bags, they are so cute and totally functional. Good job. I hope you sell TONS of them.
p.s. thanks for your nice comment on compulsively creative =)

Michele said...

Do you do trades...I will make you the cutest magnetic chore chart if you make a bag for me...deal? sage and soft pink are my favs this week. Have I ever told you that I just love Aubrey? She makes me laugh just reading about her antics...miss you guys!