Thursday, September 24, 2009

Selfishly Sad!

Last Saturday was a day Lindsey has been counting down to for a long time - she got to go back home!!!! She will still be coming to Memphis for a few days every two weeks or so for treatments, but there's something to be said for being in your own HOME the majority of the time.

A lot of people are under the impression that now that Lindsey is at home, life is back to normal. But she still has to stay EXTREMELY isolated. The doctors said her immune system is comparable to that of a very premature newborn. So public places, even walking around in the fresh air (I guess because of mold, spores, etc) is a no no. It's just going to take time for her immune system to get stronger, so pray for those cells to get going!

She and my mom lived at the Target House while they were here. The Target House is designed specifically for long term and bone marrow transplant patients at St. Jude. They do so much to make the patients' time there as enjoyable as is possible given the circumstances. When a patient leaves, Target House asks that they leave a 12x12 "artwork" of what the Target House meant to them. Lindsey wanted pictures of family and friends and words describing her time there. We got together and made this for her collage.
It's so great that they got to go home. But I was sad to see them go. I've gotten to spend more time with my family these past few months then I have in years. Aubrey is always saying "I want GiGi" (our name for grandma) or "I want Papa" (grandpa). If I need to bribe her, saying "Do you want to go see Lindsey" gets her to do just about anything I want. My family has been such a huge help to us. The night we pulled in here from Pittsburgh, they were at our house with the essentials-toilet paper, dish washing soap, and take out. And so many more things since then! From spending days on the phone helping us sort out a brief medical/insurance scare to reorganizing my entire kitchen to babysitting Aubrey, no wonder I'm sad to see them go :) I look forward to visiting in a few weeks!

The last couple days my family was here, we went to a fiesta put on by St. Jude and then a carnival put on by Target House. We met a few famous faces, Shaun White, Amy Grant, Blake Lewis (hello, from American Idol! The white beat boxer). And Aubrey had a blast with my family. She wants little to do with me when they're around. Does it hurt my feelings? Heck no, it's bliss!

In case you didn't recognize her, that's Amy Grant singing and playing the guitar below. We were waiting in line to get our picture with her, just behind a family with a small boy, probably 4 years old, in a wheel chair. Lindsey had met them a few times, and his situation was not good. Besides a cancerous tumor wrapped around his brain stem, he was partially paralyzed, had a trach and oxygen tank, and was barely cognitive when I saw him. After the parents told Amy that they planned to play one of her songs at his wedding for the first dance, she sat down and sang to him. I think about that wedding dance a lot. I hope it takes place one day. I think about that family's 12x12 artwork that they will make when they leave the Target House. What will it say? Will they be leaving on a happy note? And I think about those parents, and my parents and parents of kids with cancer in general. If you're looking for an example of someone courageous and strong and completely selfless, look no further.

14 comments:

The Bailey's said...

ok that made me ball.....I am just really emotional these last couple days...and NO I am NOT pregnant..but just seeing your sister and hearing her story makes me "selfishly" be thankful for own life and my own trials. I feel for her and my thoughts and prayers go out to her. I cant believe you all got to meet that many famous people...and BTW you didnt mention the picture of you and KEITH URBAN. who I totally heart. I pray she gets well soon!

Gina said...

I bet this will be a dramatic change for you! I am so glad that you were able to be there with your family up to this point though. I am sure it has made Memphis seem like bliss! I pray that your sis stays on the up-side!

Unknown said...

Man you made me cry! What a humbling entry. The pictures are perfect as well!

Amy said...

That was so touching. Talk about strength and courage and bravery...that's Lindsay... and your family! What a happy day. How neat that you have been able to be a part of this with her and able to get closer to your family.

Lindsay, you are BEAUTIFUL in every sense of the word. You'll be in our prayers!

PS Is that Keith Urban? Dang, he's HOT!

Linda said...

Wow! How exciting it is for your sister to be HOME again. And it was so neat that you could be so close to her with your family. I pray that Lindsay gets better soon! And Keith Urban! So envious:)

stace said...

I hope things go well with your sister. I cannot imagine how hard it must be.

Was that Keith Urban in the picture...just watched the Hannah Montana movie with Jackson today. Very cool.

Brandon and Natalie said...

It looks like you had a great time at the carnival. I bet it was a very nice treat for all the patients there.

I love the 12x12, it turned out really nice.

I am glad that your sister is finally home. I am sure it was hard to see your family go. At least having here in Memphis probably helped the transition in moving here.

I hope your sister gets well soon!

The Dorny Family said...

OK now I'm sad, too. I'm so happpy for your sister and hope she and your family do not have to go through anything like this again, but I'm sad for the countless lives cancer is affecting. It's nice to hear about the positive outcomes. I'm glad your sister's has become a success story...

Michele said...

You made me cry...I cannot imagine having a child so ill, it is something I do not think I could bare. I am so glad your sister is coming along well enough to go home. I will keep her in my prayers. Your family is amazing Mel.

Kara said...

I hope your sister makes a full recovery! This was a wonderful entry and hopefully all of this will be just a distant memory:)

Lindsey said...

First, ha, yes I realized after posting that I'm a dork and put rocky..duh. (I didn't know you could change a post until now)
Second, I agree. I loved seeing you 2-3 times a week. That's the most time we've spent together since you left for college. I LOVED it. I also love being home, so for the first week I was torn. BUT, I love the idea of you coming here after your trip...perfect solution! Ohh and I just can't get enough of that Aubrey. I'm glad we spent time together, and she's one smart cookie! Sorry Zach for taking your two loves away for a short time. Seeing Amy with that boy was amazing. I hope that he gets his wedding. I just wish I knew the boys name to follow up on him. I love you and am thankful for your help, company, and time while in memphis.

Kimberly said...

My heart strings were pulled after reading this entry. I always think of those who have to struggle with the everyday. It put's everything into perspective. I'm thankful your sis is going home but understand the impending family void hopefully for just a little while anyway:)

By the way you should look at my latest blog entry I think it will make you happy:)

noelle said...

love your family. the gruwells and tatanishes. my second homes.

JoDell said...

I'm so happy Lindsay! It's wonderful that you've been able to be close by through her journey, and, while it's not over yet, it's a blessing that she is able this big step. What a brave, courageous woman! She'll be in our prayers.