***
So here's what I was able to get done with this extra time.
***
Doily Banner - very easy, here's a tutorial
***
Her name - I bought wooden letters from Hobby Lobby and covered them with leftover fabric and Mod Podge, again easy and very cheap
***
Basket Liner - the basket had a purple liner and that was unacceptable for her room! I used this tutorial to make the liner, another easy project
***
Ballerina pictures and frames - I've posted here about those frames already, but now they are hung and officially done!

I love how this little project turned out. I spray painted a frame I already had, then did a simple design of an Aubrey Hepburn quote that I loved, had it printed up for a couple dollars, and that was that! The quote says "I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in dancing*, dancing* a lot! I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles." So the asterisks, the real quote says, "I believe in kissing, kissing a lot!" But I changed it to dancing. I just couldn't have a proclamation on my little baby's wall about how she should believe in kissing a lot. And I didn't have room in the frame to fit "I believe in kissing, in a platonic, on the cheek kind of way and only to my family, kissing a lot again in a platonic, on the cheek kind of way and only to my family." It just didn't quote flow!

Photo Board - I had the wood, ribbon, buttons and everything already from past projects and I used leftover fabric from the bedding to cover the board and buttons. So I've reminded Zach how this was a free project over and over. In fact, that's been a theme with all of the room. I keep emphasising how cheap it's been when Zach looks at our credit card statement and it goes "Hobby lobby, Jo-Ann, Gas for car, Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann, gas for car".....

But after all my scrimping, re-using, coupon clipping, etc, I blew it on this project, "gerber daisy balls to hang from ceiling". I had this incredibly cute vision of what it should look like, and in reality....not so much. I couldn't afford to spend the money on the hundreds of flowers it would take, so I went with 1 gerber daisy ball and 2 other material balls.
First, those Martha Stewart pom pom balls are supposed to be super easy! Why couldn't I do them? After I literally kicked my two attempts across the room, Zach intervened and actually made the pom pom ball pictured here. It was a VAST improvement over what I had done, but still, pretty lopsided and cheap looking. I'm not sure where we went wrong. Here's the tutorial though, maybe you'll have better luck!
***
The fabric covered ball is actually really cute. I'm happy with it. It did take almost 2 yards of fabric circles to cover, so use cheap fabric! Here's a tutorial for that one.
***
And then the daisy ball....the daisy ball that's going to be chucked in the garbage in a few days...I hope you can picture how it COULD have been cute. But I got impatient and ruined it. First of all, I used THIRTY flowers to cover it and still a good fourth of it is bare, I just couldn't spend any more money on it. Then I used several different colored daises on it because I couldn't find enough in the one color I wanted. So then I decided to spray paint the flowers the necessary color. I don't think fabric in general is meant to be spray painted. Anyways, it looks very tacky, it cost as much as basically all the projects in the room combined (excluding the bedding of course!) and I hate it. I'm not sure why I hung it up, out of stubbornness I suppose. It looks awful in person, believe me.
***
Little Girl, we are so ready, so...WHERE...ARE...YOU!?
***
and secondly -
***
What if this little girl, comes out a little boy!???? I only had one ultrasound....and I based all this work off of one ultrasound tech's opinion?

26 comments:
Wow-I feel like I've short changed my girls-there rooms were never that cute!!! I think the daisy balls are very cute, I would love to try doing one when the flowers are on sale. I might copy ALL of your ideas!
I think you did an amazing job. Funny looking back on Aubrey's room versus this room. You have gone above and beyond!!!! You put the rest of us to shame. And I don't think that daisy ball looks as bad as you are making it out to be. It looks totally great in the pic. Nice try. And when is your due date exactly? Being late is the WORST!!! It's one more day of getting fatter to me.
Well, now you've done it...I am TOTALLY depressed about my little girl's room, which she shares with Nate's dresser, Kade's toys, a random bookshelf that we can't find another place for, and a pack and play. You did an amazing job! I LOVE everything! Please help me make up for this sad room when we move into a house next year. I need to put this post on my favorites so I can come back to all the tutorials. Good job Mel!
All I have to say is, you are amazing! What a lucky little girl (hopefully she is really a girl!)
WHAT??!!!! You are getting induced before your due date?!! I hate you. Why can't I ever be so lucky? And don't try and say it is the midwives. It is a "hospital policy" here. But maybe that is what they say to keep people like me from BEGGING!!
Also, you better let me know the details after she is born.
Everything looks so great! Thanks for sharing the instructions...maybe I will attempt some of the easy stuff that doesn't involve sewing. It is SO hard when you're expecting the baby at a certain time and she's still not here yet. I calculated 2-3 weeks early with Kalia, and she was only 2 days early. Those last few weeks felt like an ENTIRE 9 MONTHS! Well, if your baby comes out a boy, I will buy everything you just made (except the name, lol) because my kids don't have decorated rooms yet!
Wow! You have done so much and everything looks so amazing! I tried making those pom poms for Natalie's room when we first moved here, and I flat out just gave up. I don't know whey they're considered 'easy', maybe only we could all be Martha Stewart. Fantastic job though, I hope she comes soon!
Everything looks fantastic! You are very talented! Good luck tomorrow! Let us know if you guys need anything!
Oh my Mel! I think you've put us all to shame. The room should be featured somewhere in a magazine. Great job. The 12th! You're so close! She'll be here any day and that's just so exciting. What's this about being induced (just read Jana's comment)?! What day? You better keep us all posted, I'll be sitting on pins and needles...
Wow Melanie! I am impressed... and very jealous of your creativeness. I wish I could be creative like you! It is all so dang cute. I love her room! Now can you please give me some ideas for a boy room??? I am struggling! All I've got is painted walls so far... HELP!
all I have to say is, I'm hiring you for my baby girl's room.
You can't really get sympathy until you are actually past your due date! And you would earn bonus sympathy points if you weren't so productive in the final days. Everything looks cute, even the daisy ball, even if you don't like it. I want to see a picture of the whole room- your colors are lovely.
Good luck these next few days! I can't wait to hear the news.
seriously...you are AMAZING! For the fabric pom poms...how big were your circles?
Her room looks great! You are so talented:) I hope for all of the effort you put into her room that its NOT a boy. Can't wait to meet her!
You are amazing. I only have six weeks left and this boy does not even have his pack and pay up. You have so much talent. Good luck with the new little lady.
I absolutely love it, the entire room is perfect!! And don't even start with the Gerber Daisey ball, its awesome. Just leave the top part bare and no one (especially me) will notice. How sweet that Zack helped you finish it. His fairy feet must have magical powers:)
I agree with Jana how being late is just one more day of getting fat. Good thing you don't have to worry about that anymore!!!
well, I think it all looks darling. I have heard from FB that SHE is here so yea for you. I am so happy for you. I hope you get a lot of help and a lot of sleep. Having 2 is tough when it comes to finding time to sleep. Congratulations!! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear the story of L&D.
You've been doing some major nesting (and crafting :)! What a cute room! I don't know if I commented on your post when you finished the bedding, but, in case I didn't, you did an amazing job. The colors and patterns looked great (and little Aubrey jumping the in the bed was priceless). Now, you just need the baby. :) She'll be here soon enough, and then you'll be wondering why you wanted it to go so fast. Actually, you probably won't, because you'll be so happy you're not pregnant anymore! If it makes you feel better (and it probably won't, but I'm still going to say it), you make a very pretty pregnant lady. :)
Everything looks awesome in her room, even the different flower balls! That was a big project to accomplish, esp when you're feeling so crummy. Way to go on finishing everything. I'm sure it will help taylor sleep well. See ya in 2 days!
That is the cutest room ever. I'm stealing the sillouette idea. I love all the girly things, as much as I love my boys, girls are better for decorating and clothes shopping forsure! I can't wait to see her, good luck with everything.
Wow Melanie! Great work. Good luck with the new baby. I couldn't tell what her name is going to be from the letters on the wall. I can't wait to find out.
mel- it looks FABULOUS!!! and... i heard today it WAS in fact a GIRL!!! so all your hard work paid off! i agree... the balls look great. much cuter hanging from the ceiling than stuck on a stick and put in a pot like the topiary i made! enjoy that little one!!!! now maybe you can SLEEP????? hmmmm.
seriously Melanie that is one cute bedroom! I have 4 girlies and none of them had/have it that good! Why don't you move back here and help me out here- i should have had all boys. I"m not very girly- trying hard for them though. I can barely do their hair! I LOVE everything about it. GREAT JOB!
I love the decor, and the little dancing girl silhouettes inspired me to do some ballerina's. You have such good ideas. The L and D sounded awesome. I hope mine goes like that, minus the pain. Im glad she is being so good for you. We miss you guys.
Post a Comment