I'm a "wannabe" at most things I do in life. I dress for the part, I have the gear for the part, but those who truly live the part can tell I'm a poser in a second. In the past I've been a wannabe kayaker, a wannabe runner, a wannabe hippie with wannabe dreadlocks, a wannabe vegetarian, wannabe potter (as in someone who uses a wheel to make clay pots, not to be tied in with my hippie phase), a wannabe crafter, scrapbooker, etc. These phases come and go, filling up my attic with all the things I "needed". But one thing that I've been a wannabe at for a good 10 years is photography. And I'm sick of being a wannabe! I have no aspirations to ever make any money at it, but I just want to not be a poser anymore, I want to be the real deal and take
photographs instead of
pictures. But it's just been a lot of frustrating trial and error. So I'm making a goal for myself. For one year from today, I will really focus on improving in this area and if after a year I don't see a huge improvement, then I'm out, I'm done! I'm going to post pictures on my blog and label the posts so that hopefully in a year's time I can review and hopefully cringe at what once were the best pictures I could take. So here goes....
I attempted to take pictures of my friends newborn - talk about frustrating! Aubrey was trying to bite my friend's older son most of the time, I didn't know what settings to use on my camera, and the poor little baby was not happy with the torture I was putting her through. It was just embarrassing! I took 90 pictures and these were the only ones I liked (and that's only after photoshopping the heck out of the bottom 2).


I also tried to take pictures of Aubrey the other day in her cute tutu (one of the things I knew I had to have once I found out I was having a girl). The first shot I just got lucky to get, b/c Aubrey fell and was still for a split second. I really need to focus on inanimate objects before attempting children. The second one I blurred up in photoshop but I like the look of it.

And these I'm just throwing in for fun because she looked cute in her tutu.
15 comments:
I think you can stop being a wannabe- I think your photography is great and I think more importantly, I can see it getting better from when you started (which wasn't that long ago, remember?).
I think this is your thing, the thing you will master. Everyone will say, Oh Melanie, yeah, I know here, she's a photographer.
I love the lighting and setting of that first picture of welles, and I also love the black picture, I think you are fantastic!
You definately are not a wannabe. I love the photos you took. You have an eye for great photography. The shots were as professional as any other ones I've seen.
i second brooke...just check out my blog and see what other people are saying about your work.
those are 2 of the cutest girls i have ever seen!
ohh I love your pictures mel and I love that tutu on Aubs. Did you make it? I wish I had thoses photography skills, I'm just to lazy to read the manual. Aubs looks like she is getting so grown up!
photography is a fun an addicting (not to mention expensive) hobby...I am obsessed if you didn't know that already.
good luck with your goal. That is the best way to get better. Oh and newborns are really hard, do feel great about how good your pictures turned out...and 1-3 year olds are even harder :)!!
I think your photographs are great. I'm serious, I look at them and go, wow, she has an eye for it. I must say I don't. But I think I'm good at scrapbooking, and that's the only hobby I've kept alive for, oh, 6 years now. I love that picture of Aubrey on her tutu. Camilla has one too... what is it with little girls and tutus? Those things juts make them look so lovable! Aubrey is such a cutie.
Your pictures are awesome! I liked the baby in the basket. It was a great idea.
However, I think you might want to try the hippie with the dreadlocks thing again. It would be sweet and you could cut down on showering.
I'm not sure you need to wait a whole year before assessing the photography issue. I consistenly look at your blog page and always really like the look of the pictures...photographs...you post. You've already arrived, just be confident and start charging big bucks.
You are so hard on yourself! If you are a poser (re: photography) then you are a dang good poser! I would consider you a serious photographer.
I don't think you're a wannabe either. I've always liked your pictures. Here's how I know you're not a wannabe either. Because you have a talent for many different things and you're not afraid to try anything new. Me on the otherhand, total opposite. I only still wish about those thinfs. Well, when you want to practice more animate objects, I have a baby coming very soon!
Don't stop!!! Don't ever stop!!! I think you are amazing and if I was having a baby I would be honored if you would take the pictures. It's all about practice, please NEVER stop!!! I have been taking sign language for like 6 years and I am not even close to being fluent, talk about frustrating...
Don't be so hard on yourself, your great at photography. I think sometimes we doubt our true capabilities and as an outsider looking in I can tell you photography is something you do very well.
Glad to see you finally got your tutu and I love those shoes! I'm just sad that you're not here to take pictures of Adam before he turns into a sumo wrestler. No matter how many pictures you had to take, the ones I saw were fabulous. You're on your way to being a master of yet another skill. Just leave me cooking, it's all I have left!
ok so the pics that you took of Wellsley (i have no idea how to spell her name :)) are sooo great! i for sure would love it if you would take my baby's pics when he decides to FINALLY COME!!! i don't know if it's something you want to do but if so i would love it!! how much do you charge! i have some cute ideas for pics :) anyway let me know :)
Ummm, is she in my back yard? And I love the pics. You seriously are no poser.
Post a Comment