Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Years (9 days late)

We celebrated the new year in style, well, at least, in my style. New Year's eve we spent at a friend's house. We made it all the way until 8:30 pm before Aubrey's company was no longer so welcome. At least she got to show off her snazzy shoes and we had some time to spend with good friends.Over the weekend we went to eat at a local Italian restaurant called Piccolo Forno. If you know anything about Pittsburgh, you know that it has a gazillion pizza/Italian restaurants to choose from. If you know anything about me, you know I like to go to the local places and not chains. So this was right up my ally. It was inexpensive and authentic (Since my ZERO trips to Italy make me such an expert, but I did read Eat, Pray, Love). We only got to enjoy the atmosphere there for 20 minutes or so before giving up on struggling with Aubrey and eating our food in the car while she watched, you guessed it, Mickey Mouse.
Can you tell they're related? :)
Afterwards we went to Hartwood Acres for the Celebration of Lights. You never get out of your car, so it's a good activity to do with kids in the cold weather. And we only had to wait in a line of cars for an hour to get in!And last but not least, we went to Phipps Conservatory, since it was the last weekend for their holiday displays. I couldn't pick just one picture, so here's 6.

And finally, for my new year's resolution. So here it is. I want to be better. A bit broad and vague right? Specifically I want to be a better mom (i.e. less mickey mouse and cheetos for Aubrey), eat healthier (less cheetos for me too, darn it), be a better wife (sometimes cook dinner for Zach, rub his feet in spite of the appearance of his toenails), and be better spiritually (maybe hide my scriptures inside my US magazine instead of my US magazine inside my scriptures). Well there you have it! This goal will be harder then all of my last year ones combined, but, more rewarding and definitely more needed.

7 comments:

Tina said...

I like your goals. I never seem to stick to my goals, so I didn't even make any this year. :D I am glad to know that I am not the only one who doesn't cook dinner every night. Wow, those pictures of the Conservatory are so beautiful. Love Aubrey's shoes! She is such a fashionista!

noelle said...

to be better. i like it. why not? it works. gorgeous pics, by the way.

The Jungle Explorer said...

Be better sounds like a great goal, although I don't know how rubbing nasty man feet will make you better.

Richins Family said...

mel you're so cute! i think we need to hang out a bunch before you guys move! you have no idea how much i appreciate how nice you were to me this summer when we came out! It was comforting to know that you were here and made my transition here easier! thanks for being so awesome :)

Christen, Doug and Dillon said...

You can't beat waiting an hour to go through Hartwood Acres, only to be stuck behind someone that leaves their lights on! Ahh the burgh...how I miss you in so many ways without wanting to visit you at all! You, Mel, on the other hand, I would love to see! Love the pics!

Kimberly said...

Your resolutions sound very familiar, I think I had all of yours on MY resolution list. I swear Maeryn lives off of potato chips and french fries and cheeto's are in there as well:)I want to feed her better foods but she is so picky and fears new foods. I too need to work on the food I eat. All I wanted last night were fried dill pickles becuase I saw them on TV and they looked so good!

Aubrey was cute in her New Years outfit. Sometimes it can be difficult to take our little munchkins out with us. I can't wait till my parents move closer so Rhett and I can go out alone:).Fancy that. We've only been on one date since Maeryn was born.

I'm glad you shared all of those photo's from Phipp's. I've always wanted to see the Christmas display but never got a chance. I love flowers and those were very pretty.

Happy New Years and I hope you achieve everything on your list!

La Familia Young said...

Oh so many fun activities.. and eating in the car.. classic! I do like your resolutions. Hey, if Aubrey is addicted to Mickey Mouse, Camilla is addicted to Sesame Street! I should work on that :) You guys look good. Take care!