Saturday, January 3, 2009

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Christmas with my side of the family always consists of lots of family time and lots of food. There must be some genetic trait we share that makes us incapable of exercising willpower around food. For example, my sister made a pie that requires 2 hours to chill before serving. Did the pie even make it into the fridge to chill? No, not once in the 3 times the pie was attempted. We polished it off still warm and oozy in about 30 minutes every time. Other then eating we did get several 1-hour massages (for $15 mind you at local massage school) and did lots of shopping.

Have you ever seen a barn like this? Rock City is a local scenic attraction where I'm from. At one time there were over 900 barns painted to advertise this atttraction from Michigan to Texas and in between. The barns themselves are an icon, at least in the south. However, I had never actually been to Rock City, so we made it a priority this trip. It's funny how the locals in an area usually haven't seen what others travel from far away to see.
I'm loving my circa 1970s outfit. I figured wrong that the south would be warm still and had to borrow my mom's college cold weather gear.
Me and my sister and her daughter
After waiting 20 some odd years to go to this tourist attraction, I wasn't sure what to expect. I certainly wasn't expecting these friendly faces. Is this what nightmares are made of or what? Notice Gretle and the pig thief have been dismembered and Goldilocks is in need of an exorcism. Rock City had a whole cave full of the twisted fairy tales. Kinda weird huh?

My sister sneakily caught these pictures of me in some of my finer parenting moments. Me asleep, Aubrey watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on her dvd player.
But I redeemed myself here right? Cuddling my sick little girl. All of the kiddos had a really rough time and freely passed around their illnesses. Even though Aubrey looks so beat here, I was so happy in this moment to actually have a moment to hold her, she usually doesn't allow that.
Everyone, meet Adam, my nephew. He is 4 months old, but he and Aubrey wear the same size clothing and weigh the same. Here he's modeling Aubrey's pajamas. Instead of being complimented that he liked her style, she attacked him.
The relevance of this picture? None, I just love her little outfit here.
I'm very glad we got to celebrate Christmas with my family. Another highlight was that we got to talk to my brother, who is currently serving a mission in California. Stay tuned for another creatively titled post called "Happy New Year".

9 comments:

Melissa Hodgen said...

It was quite a vacation. I'd forgotten about the massages...they seem so long ago and I definately need another one. Good thing we bought a million gift certificates. Thank you for not inculding the picture of me stuffing my face to illistrate the first paragraph.

La Familia Young said...

LOL... You did redeem yourself! Camilla had a fever and stuff and all she wanted to do was to cuddle with one of us. So.. we got to cuddle with her, something that NEVER happens since sche's always on the GO. Hope you are all doing well... And I would be ineterested in seeing that picture of Melissa and the pie :)

Tina said...

I only went to Rock City once when I was growing up there, and that was for a choir concert (I didn't even walk around the whole thing). A couple years ago we took Alyssa and Carinn to go see it when we were visiting up there and they loved it. It is actually really pretty in the spring time, but the figurines are really creepy. Next time we are up there I want to go to Ruby Falls.

noelle said...

i always associate food with your family, and for some reason... bean-o and flying ducks. haaa. i want a pic of that pie. it sounds delish. and a pic of melissa eating that pie sounds even better.

Amy said...

So much to comment about. I love the photos! I love that you got to cuddle your sweet little one but sorry she was sick that's no fun. Those freaky statues are really going to give me nightmares tonight! I'm glad that you got to go home and be with family, there's nothing better.

Jana said...

That pic of your nephew wearing those pj's was freaking me out. I had to read that part twice to fully get it. HAHA! And that Rock City place looks like a real classy area. Is it a country club or something? I wonder if they do weddings?

Christen, Doug and Dillon said...

I love the 70s throwback! But I'm going to have to watch a Disney movie to get those creepy doll things out of my head!

Brooklet said...

those rock people are creepy, creepy! Glad to see you got some sleep, too! I am glad you clarified that your nephew was wearing Aubreys pajamas, becuase i was a bit concerned that his pajamas were really, really girly. I worry about things like that!

Rachel said...

freaky. those rock people or whatever are very scary looking. I totally miss those days when I could put on a show and catch up on some sleep. Aubrey I adorable. I want to squeeze her but she's probably scream.