Tuesday, February 3, 2009

So if owls were my last fixation, pears are my current. It probably started when I bought these fabrics off etsy. I like them so much I'm afraid to actually try and make something with them. I'm thinking a little dress for Aubrey, but I want to make a practice one or two first, so most likely the fabrics will sit untouched with the gads of other fabric I've purchased b/c guess what? (I don't actually know how to sew anything but a burp cloth) The author of a crafty blog that I visit, Lollychops, also has a thing for pears and created this paper, which you can download for free here on her site. I have no idea who's behind the blog, but she does all sorts of free patterns, tutorials, and downloads, like cute recipe cards, gift tags, etc. It's worth checking out!
Here's my attempt to make my own pear paper, blatantly copied off of the Lollychops one of course. I like how she staggered her pears better, but I didn't think to do it until too late.

And apparently others are also feeling the pear right now. Check out this wall hanging someone made out of a large piece of fabric.

And these Pear Pin cushions. I want to make these next! Right after the pear dress ;) I snagged the picture below from someones blog and you can get instructions on how to make these here.
And my one pear sewing attempt, a shirt for Aubrey. The shirt is from old Navy, and I used that iron on interfacing to get the pear and leaf on there and then stitched around it with embroidery floss.
Lastly, does anyone know how to change the background in the minima template? I know how to in Mr. Moto, but wasn't clear on how to in minima. Just in case I want to venture away from white!

13 comments:

BusyMama said...

That shirt is the best thing I've seen all day! You inspire me to be more crafty with every cute project you do!

Linda said...

I've been really into pears lately too, and red apples. And I totally want to make the pear cushions. Thanks for the idea!

Linda said...

This message is for Zach from Tyler....

Thanks man, I'm sure you're pretty excited about ortho as much as I'm about pedo. We're really excited for the move and change. RI should be lots of fun.

Lutheran does interview all candidates in NY. I interviewed for AK, NY, and RI. And they asked me how I would rank each Lutheran spots during the interview, and then I had to rank all three on PASS also. It was nice to have three interviews at once, but nerve wreaking at the same time.

I'm surprised to hear that Jason and Moody didn't get in, that is tough.

Anyways, good luck to you guys in Tennessee(?).

noelle said...

darling! you inspire me to change my blog template... but i just can't do the cute stuff.

Amy said...

Hey I saw that blue pear fabric at Joann's! Keri (Low) has some of it too. Elise and I were just saying last night that we wanted to make a little girls dress. Lets go look for a pattern! Love the shirt, great idea.

Amy said...

Man turns out pears are in!!! you are so creative - I'll be looking forward to seeing a little pear dress (or maybe some pear burp clothes.....whichever)

libby said...

Super, SUPER cute! PS, we shouldn't stay out so late anymore. I'm ridiculously tired. Maybe that has more to do with a baby who woke up every 45 minutes last night... maybe.

Michele said...

To change your background in minima go to the cutest blog on the block and click on free backgrounds...find something you like and follow the directions any problems call me!!
I have some pear scrapbook paper somewhere I have to give you!!

lindsey gruwell said...

You are so funny! You can put your fabric pears with your birds. You are so crafty..I love aubs shirt! When I ever make things, I'll have to call you for help. Good luck on all the house stuff.

Rachel said...

I love the pears/ and as much as it pains me to say it, I actually llove the pin cushion. what I would ever do with it I dont know since I dont sew or own pins but I really like it.

Rachel said...

so my friend here in Napa is really into finding cute little crafty things and I told her about the pears cause I thought she would like them and she left a comment down there at the bottom. She didn't mention that it was me who told her about your blog and that I actually know you and her... therefore, you do not have a blog stalker. just so you know. She's April Kennedy.

Jana said...

So cute. I want a shirt like that for Ellie. And I still want that burp cloth you made!!! Buggin.

Misner Family said...

Wow mel, you are so crafty! You make me want to sew a pear something.