There wasn't any drama with the actual making of the dress. It was actually refreshingly quick and easy. The only part I'm not happy with is the neckline. It was my first time "shirring" and it didn't gather as snugly as I was hoping. But all in all, I like it and will make more! It's the Claire Portabello Pixie pattern from Sandi Henderson if you want to make one of your own!


The drama stemmed from trying to get some pictures of this little stinker in her dress. All day I'd been chasing her and trying to wrestle the dress onto her. I'd long since given up and was later sternly talking to her about something else naughty she'd done when she asked to put on her dress and grabbed her "pretty hair" stuff (detangler, comb, hair clip). A blatant attempt to smooth me over and distract me from my lecture, and did it work...you betcha! We ran out to take pictures in the fading light, but....
This is all she really wanted to do outside.





17 comments:
cute! I love the fabric that you chose!
14 days and counting...
nice job! i love the dress, you are quite talented!
The dress is adorable! I love all the colors. Aubrey is so funny--she cracks me up. Sounds like she keeps your life entertaining!
wow mel i'm impressed! super cute! i can't believe how much aubrey has changed since you guys moved! she's so dang cute!
Great job! Looks like you learned a new skill too "shirring"?? That makes me nervous just thinking about. It's a perfect fit too, if only she'd cooperate for pics (Owen is the same way, ugh). That little 4 wheeler she has is awesome.
I just noticed the surged edges, did you buy a surger?? I'll die if you did.
Hahahaha.. Oh Mel, I know EXACTLY what you mean. If you remember I made a dress out of shirt for the little bugger. She would NOT want to wear it; after 10 minutes of crying and kicking (and maybe even a time-out) she settled down, but would not hold still for pics. So I brived ber. You can't see it, but the TV is showing some cartoon while I'm taking photos. (Sigh). Cute dress... You are so talented!... maybe I'll give it a shot.. still working on that quilt. By the way, hot wheels uh? Hmmm, maybe that would be a nice gift for Camilla's b-day. Anyhow, take care!
so cute! I knew on sunday that you had to have made that because I recognized the fabric. I LOVE it and definetly want to learn how to make! I think that calls for a sewing day!
I think the dress turned great! I also think you got some fun pictures. Great memories that you will smile on later in life. Love the painted fingernails and slippers picture.
I think the dress looks awesome for a first attempt. Aubrey is so cute. I loved the post.
I absolutely love the dress and I think you did a fabulous job! Also the Aubrey morning pics are awesome. Not all of us can roll over and look that amazing first thing in the morning.
Very cute- I like the fabrics you chose- very funky and fun. I saw that pattern at the fabric store and one of my friends here was drooling over it. I'll have to show her this post.
haa, aubs a smart girl, she knows how to get outa trouble. I just get the biggest kick out of her in that hot wheels. So funny! What am I going to do without seeing her during the week?
Great Job on the dress! It is simpler than most people think. I have seen the outfit My mom and I made and the dress you made in boutiques for around $70.00 or more. Funny when you start making your own stuff you feel you have been dupped by those who charge the big bucks for the same thing. Though time is money and I agree with you on the whole not making enough $$ for the time spent. I'm still trying to find my nitch and make some extra cash while at the same time not spending alot of time on it. Right now it's making aprons and I am selling them at the local cupcake bakery. I'm working on a simple design that I can gussy up to make more kizzash. Maybe someday I'll make it big:)lol!!
That dress is darling. PLEASE make me one. I would try, but you know me. I would give up, join some sewing group here in Ann Arbor and beg for some new friend to do it for me. Please don't make me do that. I was laughing so hard about being back in the saddle again in the morning. I get Ellie all cute for like 5 seconds and then decide it is too much effort and put her in bum huggers and stained tank tops.
That dress is darling! I'm amazed at your talents. Seriously, I wish I had even a quarter that amount of talent! I love the new sewing blog also. Too cute!
Hey Melanie! I am so glad you wrote! I just started this blogging thing, it is kind of a lot of work, maybe I am just lazy! So yeah I thought of you guys while I was crying on the slickrock trail. And no, I wasn't pregnant this time. So no good reason. :) I love seeing your blogs about all of your photography and sewing! I made the birdie bag, it took me forever. Yours are so cute. And your pictures are awesome. Jed and I were looking at them. He was saying how you have a very artistic eye. What kind of camera do you use? I want a nice camera so bad! I am sad you guys wont be out here but I am soooo excited that you are expecting a little one. YEAH! So look how long this message is, I just need to call you. Anyways! SO fun
Post a Comment