Monday, February 16, 2009

I'm in love....

Now don't run off, this is NOT a recap of all the cheesy lovey sweet nothings that my spouse and I surprised each other with for Valentine's day. It's about a new infatuation in my life...FABRIC! For someone who really doesn't know how to sew, I am quite obsessed with fabrics and now own yards and yards and yards. My friend Amy recently wowed us with a diaper bag she had made so several of us girls are on a quest to make our own. Since this project is way over my head, I've directed the time and energy that I could have used to learn more sewing skills towards picking the perfect fabric.

Little did I know, there's a whole world of cuteness out there. This are just some of my favorites of the hundreds of swatches I looked at.
After days of pondering and consulting with friends, I finally ordered this fabric in corduroy for this diaper bag that may or may not actually be made.

So if you do want a recap of our Valentine's day, here it is. Zach spent the day on several guy dates, first a gun show, and then a basketball game, then some ping pong with his friend, while I shopped craft stores and attempted to sew, then unpicked everything I had just sewn. Then around 10:30 that night Zach and I finally got together and watched a movie. Actually Zach fell asleep and I watched the movie. What can I say? We are just a pair of hopeless romantics.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zach here;

In my defense, guns shows are usually cool (especially the crazy, end-of-the-world people that attend/Amish people), Pitt basketball rocks, and ping-pong-- well need I say more?!! Also, Mel and I went out for dinner the previous weekend for Valentine's day. So there, I'm not that bad after all. Love Zach

Anonymous said...

I feel the need to clarify, it's Zach again.

Amish people are not end-of-the-world firearm stock-pilers-(that would be my ping-pong opponent), they're nice people, from what I've heard... There just happened to be a few bus loads of Amish folk at the local gun show that I attended in West Virginia. In fact, (this will blow your minds) I saw a set of identical quadruplet Amish girls, now mathematically the odds for anyone reading this to see 4 identical twin Amish girls is very very slim. I'm talking winning the lottery slim. So I feel pretty lucky to have gone to the gun show. happy valentine's day everyone.

Brooklet said...

I think I just might be married to that ping-ponging, end-of-the-world-stock-piler, and I own a fat quarter of that fabric (plus I own the contrasting fabric to it, I love it!)

Welcome to my world of stock-pililng fabrics, that you don't really know what you are going to use it for, you know you just have to have it, because it's so pretty!

Amy said...

Zach, you're funny! Mel, I LOVE those fabrics. Maybe I need to adapt your mentality and just start stockpiling (not guns...fabric) since I'm sooo indecisive. Where do you go to look at swatches? Maybe you should tell me the website so I can fall in love too. The bag will happen... BEFORE we all move, it will be complete, mark my words!

Jana said...

Well, I would say I can relate, but I can't. I do however love the fabric. If only there was a place that sold those bags already made. Why does everything have to be so complicated for me?!!! And your valentines day was about as romantic as ours. Except more crazy kids here.

libby said...

I love it--and I too have the same obsession. I have several boxes of fabric begging to be used for projects. Maybe someday. :) Can't wait to see the bag!

tiffany and darren said...

I am just starting the quest to find cute fabrics, Walmart just doesn't cut it. Where are the best places here to find stuff I will actually want to use?
As for the mooning kids, they are on some back road we take to the Waterfront. Next time I go by, I will get the address for you. Too funny, I know!

audrey said...

mmm. i love you melanie.

and thank you for my little surprise in the mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as for fabrics, i LOOOOOOOOVE them. i love to touch them, smell them, feel thick bolts of them in my hands, arms. i love it when anthropologie safety pins to the clothing a square of fun fabric with an extra button sewed on. i love to run my fingers across piles of fabrics. i love those soft mannequins owned by tailors. i love to stand still in a fabric store, surrounded by colors and patterns and overwhelmed by not-knowing-anything-about-sewing. i love to imagine what this piece of fabric or that one will be in its next life--a sweater? a cute baby doll dress? a little sack for lip gloss and a wallet? a simple book mark? endless possibilities : )

alas. i do not sew.

and i have a feeling i will remain on this side of the line, just in love with the idea of it all and far far away from really being able to "own" the sewing world with all its prettiness.

but it looks like you're crossing the line, so yayy : ) throw me some fabric.

happy fabric day.

Linda said...

I've been a little obsessed with fabric lately too. The one thing stopping me from purchasing any is that I don't sew. It doesn't help that I don't have a sewing machine either. Maybe someday though.....

And thanks for the lovely clips! I absolutely LOVE them.

noelle said...

aud leaves the longest comments, you know? will you tell her get a blog already? so about visiting - anytime, girlfriend. free food, free accommodations, and a whole lotta mexicans. what's not to love.

Kimo said...

Your Valentines Day sounds a lot like ours - Romance, romance, ROMANCE!!!