Sunday, March 1, 2009

When a sale DOESN'T save you money....

For several weeks now, flannel has been on sale at Joann's, at a good 60% off. I know it's sad that I get excited about something like that, but in my defense, so have MOST of my friends. I lost count a long time ago of the number of trips I've taken. And why are we so jazzed up over flannel? Because a friend of ours makes these adorable baby receiving blankets out of them and showed us how. Unfortunately for her, now we've ruined her go to baby shower gift since we are all making them now. Unfortunately for me, my lack of willpower manifested itself big time. This is my current stack of flannel, and this is AFTER making 5 blankets already. I think I have another 12 or so from this stack. Sales usually cause me to spend MORE money. Which shouldn't come as too much of a surprise to me since I'm also the type that will eat BOXES of reduced fat cookies but won't touch a regular oreo. The sad thing is, for months now I've been wanting to buy myself some new jeans. Most of mine are $10 purchases from Plato's Closet (i.e. used clothing store). But I decided that financially it was not in the cards. And then I saw my stack of flannel and darn it all, that stack could have been a cute pair of jeans. At least I can't get too fat to sew a flannel blanket, right?

Did I mention I joined a sewing club? 5 years ago I belonged to the outdoor club, Sierra club, climbing club, etc. Now....sewing clubs....oh my....

16 comments:

libby said...

I really love the monkey blanket. And the flower one in the same picture. So, we're all a little nuts, it's okay, right? :)

Gina said...

Wow! You really did go crazy! I love the last 2 blankets too. I like how you did the border only on one side. Nice variation. Super cute!

audrey said...

ha. i like that stack : ) it's not tiny, that's for sure.

as for the jeans, you'd look good in WALMART jeans : )

La Familia Young said...

Hey Mel! That's some cute fabric you got! I know what you mean about sales not meaning saving money... so easy to just go overboard with so much cute stuff!! By the way, you are telling me I am not the only one who buys used clothes??? Well that's a relief! Hunter and I are all about getting a good deal, and if that means the Good Will store, so be it! Good luck with those blankets.. I'm sure they'll turn out just great!

Richins Family said...

wow i love all of your flannel! i think that we are all a little obsessed! (ok i can only speak for myself)! after our sewing club i had dreams all night of all the amazing things i could sew! lol then i woke up and remembered i barley know how to thread my machine :) lol

NJ said...

Melanie! You found some really cute flannel? Were you only shopping at Joann's? They are so cute! Don't worry, I have a huge stack of flannel too!

Linda said...

Wow! That is a lot of flannel. I'd have to say since I've left, you ALL have gone crafty overload. At least at this rate you will never run out of babyshower gifts:)

Alys said...

So cute! I want to learn more about sewing. I made curtains, but that is it.

Stefanie said...

I'm pretty sure Ry has a blanket out of one of those fabrics. At least you have a hobby! Still trying to figure out what mine is.

Amy said...

Maybe our next project should be making jeans! Why not? You saw the super cute denim available at Joann's right?

Love the blankets AND the fabric obsession.

Rachel said...

how you've changed my friend. =) think of it this way, if you ever get too fat you could just sew all your flannel together into a gown of sorts. I would actually really love to learn to sew. too bad I moved before this craze hit.

Michele said...

What can I say? I am a collector myself...you do have an extra ordinary collection of fabric...I like the way you paired them up...you are an artist.

tiffany and darren said...

It's funny because I recognize a lot of that fabric and have purchased a few of the same patterns. I am excited to learn how to make the blankets!

Megan and Charlie Miller said...

Mels the blankets are so cute! You are always doing so many fun projects. Abby makes projects difficult and she is not even crawling yet.
I just got the invitation to the shower today and I LOVE them. (Where did you get the photo model? I mean she has the cutest wrists :) No really you did such a good job! See ya Friday

Rachel said...

I was creeping around at your friends' blog and saw Miles (is that Zach's brother?) It looks like he is friends with Rick and Dug. They're married to Dan's sisters. so in other words your brother in law is friends with Dan brother's in law. how cool is that. I am realizing how gay it is that i am actually typing this right now. haha. Anyways. it seemed cool at the time.

Jana said...

And now you won't have to spend money on any blankets for the next baby. Or baby gifts. :) Go get yourself some fancy jeans. After all that sewing, you deserve it. :)